• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Work and weather didn't cooperate today but I got a couple of night parking lot flights on the Rascal

Attachments

• 20151007_202247.jpg
    20151007_202247.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 207

BalsaDust

Calling it the Edge44
This is just the Edge that @Goofy designed shrunk down to a 44" span.

Here are the specs.

Span 44"
Lentgh 40"
Wieght 35oz or less
Wing area 453 sq in
motor 3542 900kv
ESC 50 amp
battery 2200mah 3S 30C lipo
Servos Tork 1811 on rons and solar D658 in the tail.
CG 4.25" from LE of root rib

So the build is pretty straight forward and on V2 I will document every step of the build. On to how it flys.
Its freaking sweet. harriers are nice and smooth and inverted is pretty well locked in in my opinion. Hoooovers awesome wants to torque roll. I think it could stand to have a little more aileron authority in a hover but there is plenty there when flying around. Elevator is more than effective was able to pretty much get it to rotate around the wing at WOT and full up elevator. KE I'm getting dialed in but it does it great. Very small amount of roll back to the belly and tending to want to pull to the canopy. A little on the nose heavy side at first but after cutting 1/4" off the nose so I could recess the motor all the way back and not need small standoffs that got better. Think it could stand to be a little further aft but I can play with the battery location some more. Rolls aren't quite axial. Have checked and I'm getting even travel up and down on both rons so I guess I will need to add a little differential into them.
I built this with a 1/4" fuse and carbon arrow shaft trying to keep the weight down trying to keep the wing loading down. After flying it I think the next one will get a 3/8" fuse and tube as the elevator is chasing the tail a bit in rolls.

Now for some videos

Maiden flight

Flight #2

Short inverted flight

After repairs and landing gear added

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
Looking really good for this weekend! 104 is ready for duty Sir! @Madinpensacola you game? Foley or the "strip"??? Saturday? @DB4SPD will accompany me. We will also be heading out for Iron City early Friday morning next week for H-O-W.:)
Lets go huck some!

My entourage and I are heading to the scale fly-in in Irvington (Azalea City Modelers Assn) first thing Saturday morning. :grouphug: Will be there from 8:00 to get the party started. Head on over. $10 registration gets lunch included. I think you usually eat lunch if I remember correctly. I bet a cheeseburger may just be available. :yesss:

The following Saturday is the big fly-in in Gulfport at MMRCC and then the NEXT weekend is HOW. Whew!!!

BalsaDust

Nice flying @cbarnes0061 .:way_to_go:

Little Edge looks like it flys well and you got the Whipit figured out.:yesss:

I still playing with the whipit. Would like to find somewhere that had a little bit of a slope so I could try catching more thermals. Flying it this morning I changed my throw up and I feel I'm getting better altitude throwing it almost straight up. I know everything I have read says aim just slightly above the horizon into the wind but I'm not getting as much that way.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I still playing with the whipit. Would like to find somewhere that had a little bit of a slope so I could try catching more thermals. Flying it this morning I changed my throw up and I feel I'm getting better altitude throwing it almost straight up. I know everything I have read says aim just slightly above the horizon into the wind but I'm not getting as much that way.

Straight up has worked well for me. At least in my back yard. Might be different with a breezy slope.