• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Dang that sucks. May I ask what radio system?
Well looks like it wasn't radio after all. Rob it was the A9
Man that sucks. I'm really glad no one was hurt. Did you have a fail safe set on the throttle?

About 2 years ago I had a throttle servo go nuts on start up and try to eat me. Thankfully I had it tied down well.:omg:

He has opti on it, if radio looses signal, engine will die, hence why we couldn't figure out lock out. He had throttle buried down. I think we found the problem.
I had that happen to me also. I was using the A9 and for some reason every now and again the throttle wouldn't come up when powered up, everything worked, ailerons, ele.,rudder, but no throttle, flipped prop that bitch came to life wide open. I was moving kinda fast for an old dude getting away from that thing. I always check throttle before flipping, make sure I hear it working now:dancing-chicken:

Gents look at the taxi back pic. I noticed it also, but the owner just called me and he saw what I saw. The motor is broke loose from standoffs, there was 3 of the bolts broken. Looks like he broke one sometime back, and then the others failed, you can see in the pic the engine is turned, and the prop is spooling up. Congrats Warren on finding what happened, glad it wasn't radio related, hard to put trust in radio after a glitch.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Where did you get those plugs from. Willing to give one a shot on my DLE 55
You can buy them from DLA, or...Rcexl sells them. $7.99 per plug. A little steep on price but I feel worth every penny. I was so sold on NGK CM6's that when I bought a new motor, I originally saved the stock plugs and immediately replaced them with NGK's. Now I just use them for practice shots at the waste can. I'm pretty confident I will be using Iridium's from here on out.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Got in just 4 flights today with my 91" EF Extra before my back started hurting bad. I left off the SFG's to see what it would be like and she still flew great. The roll rate seemed faster and parachutes were a little harder to keep straight. I guess both to be expected but kinfe edge was still great. I was getting low (for me - maybe 20') doing rollers. I can see going lower because it was easy to control. Feels really good getting back to flying now.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well looks like it wasn't radio after all. Rob it was the A9

He has opti on it, if radio looses signal, engine will die, hence why we couldn't figure out lock out. He had throttle buried down. I think we found the problem.
I had that happen to me also. I was using the A9 and for some reason every now and again the throttle wouldn't come up when powered up, everything worked, ailerons, ele.,rudder, but no throttle, flipped prop that bitch came to life wide open. I was moving kinda fast for an old dude getting away from that thing. I always check throttle before flipping, make sure I hear it working now:dancing-chicken:

Gents look at the taxi back pic. I noticed it also, but the owner just called me and he saw what I saw. The motor is broke loose from standoffs, there was 3 of the bolts broken. Looks like he broke one sometime back, and then the others failed, you can see in the pic the engine is turned, and the prop is spooling up. Congrats Warren on finding what happened, glad it wasn't radio related, hard to put trust in radio after a glitch.
Good news for sure Donnie. After the bullet I dodged with my 260, it's seriously had me rethinking radio systems. Darn thing is though, everything else I own is crystal clear. I'm pretty sure my ignition module has been giving me fits all along. Not to worry, as I called Milton from RC Extreme last night. He is sending me a new Rcexl ignition and pick up for the 157. I'm hoping this fixes my "gremlin" once and for all.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Just got back from a day at the field. I flew my Goblin 570 for the first time. Man that's a nice machine! I chickened out at the last minute and had my buddy Mike that's been flying heli's since before I met him in 85 do the maiden. I'm kind of glad I did because I had the tail gain was set too high and in a high speed pass the tail started to oscillate pretty bad. It would have been scary for a new guy like me, but to an old hat like Mike it wasn't an issue. His 35 + years flying heli's sure beats my 35 flights I had before today. I can loop, roll, hover nose in, and even hover and fly inverted a little, but a guy needs to know his limitations. ;)

After a little tweaking and another short test flight I got my turn. This thing is smoother, more maneuverable and more powerful than my T-Rex 550. I really like it!

One thing I know for sure is that while the white gray and black scheme looks great, it sucks to see on a cloudy day. The canopy I have was damaged in shipping and has some cracks. USPS made good, and a new one is on the way. I'm going to take this one to work this week and repaint it in some brighter colors.

I also took my Crack Pitts with me today. I haven't flown it much because I found it under powered and kind of boring. I've been flying it on 2S. When a friend showed up at the field he started charging a pile of 3s 460mah batteries. I borrowed one from him and he also gave me a tad smaller prop and man it brought it to life.:yesss:

20150830_144324_resized.jpg

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Good news for sure Donnie. After the bullet I dodged with my 260, it's seriously had me rethinking radio systems. Darn thing is though, everything else I own is crystal clear. I'm pretty sure my ignition module has been giving me fits all along. Not to worry, as I called Milton from RC Extreme last night. He is sending me a new Rcexl ignition and pick up for the 157. I'm hoping this fixes my "gremlin" once and for all.
Yeah he happy to know the reason it happened. Your incident yesterday, had me looking at radio, and his igni. Strangely enough he been having some igni./timing issues, and I thought it might have gotten some dirty noise from igni., and sent things crazy, but thinking a little ( it hurts my head so I don't do it much) if radio had of lost signal, with his set up, engine would have died.

yakken

100cc
Went flying today with my brother and we practiced the basic in imac. I think our planes are mad at us for not throwing down some 3d today. My new smoke system on my extra wouldnt work. I hate messin with smoke systems.[emoji35]

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Went flying today with my brother and we practiced the basic in imac. I think our planes are mad at us for not throwing down some 3d today. My new smoke system on my extra wouldnt work. I hate messin with smoke systems.[emoji35]

I have never invested in a smoke system.

Someday.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Dude, I did some flying for you. TRUE!!! LOL
Hey Rob,

I appreciate your wishes to get me flying, but it is not in my crystal ball for the foreseeable future. I'll be lucky I see the light of day for the next month at least. Please believe me, I am not complaining. I have been without a job for 11 months in my not-too-distant past and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I'm glad you and your son had a great day of flying. It's times like that with him that you will cherish for the rest of your life. Have you had a chance to see what happened with your baby? That was just too weird. I promise not to give you any grief about not flying her until you are darn sure what caused your problem. . . . . . . ;)