• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Hardest Thing To Figure Out

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Headed down to Chino this weekend to teach some folks to fly, hook up with some friends, make some new friends and to try out every radio there is out there. My goal is to figure out what radio I want and why I want it.

I'll report back on what I find/figure out and hopefully I will know what I will be buying. Either way, I know where I will be buying it from for a great price.

As Paul used to say "Stand by for news"

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
After holding dozens of radios and getting inputs from tons of pilots and even flying a few of the major brands, I finallt decided on the SD-10G.

Actually that is not true at all. I bought one at the Big Jolt today for $315 with a Rx. There was no way I could pass up that deal. That is like getting this radio for $240. Can't touch that with any other brand. Shoot, I think my RDS8000 cost about $40 less when I bought it.

So there you go. Sorry for the lack of research, but I was leaning to that radio anyway.

Frank

Aerosi

30cc
Very nice....Congrats! :thumbup: That's a spectacular deal! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come. I bet it feels awesome to have that one knocked out...

I'm pretty decided on the Futaba 14SG, which isn't coming out for at least another month. Although my spreadsheet is not that applicable anymore, I think I'll still add the 14SG on there and post it up...just to give others an idea of one person's thought process. The transmitter thing (for me) is one decision that I don't take lightly, and I'm sure someone out there would probably feel the same.

Hope it goes well for you...keep us posted on how you're liking it

SnowDog

After holding dozens of radios and getting inputs from tons of pilots and even flying a few of the major brands, I finallt decided on the SD-10G.

Actually that is not true at all. I bought one at the Big Jolt today for $315 with a Rx. There was no way I could pass up that deal. That is like getting this radio for $240. Can't touch that with any other brand. Shoot, I think my RDS8000 cost about $40 less when I bought it.

So there you go. Sorry for the lack of research, but I was leaning to that radio anyway.

Frank

Alright Frank!!! I know you'll like that radio even if you think it is not the prettiest radio on the market ;)
I love mine; I got a deal on mine last year just like you did...$350 for the radio and three rx's!
The thing is rock solid; never had an issue; supports a 2S life battery; runs forever (ok, not forever, but a long time) on a single charge, and there are some very knowledgeable owners of this radio on the forums to help with any programming questions. The manual is pretty darn good too.

Hmmm...Gyro, maybe we should have a section for radios...strictly focused on programming questions?
We could start building our knowledge on this site around them just like we are doing for planes...maybe even add it to the wiki....post copies of the manuals, etc.?

Sorry Frank for the tangent. Anyway, I'm glad you got the SD-10G, I know you'll like it and it will do right by you.

Cheers,
Mike

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hmmm...Gyro, maybe we should have a section for radios...strictly focused on programming questions?

We do now: http://www.3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?133-Radio-Programming-Help

We could start building our knowledge on this site around them just like we are doing for planes...maybe even add it to the wiki....post copies of the manuals, etc.?

Great, lets start getting some product pages going. Here: http://www.3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?132-RC-Parts-amp-Accessories

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Alright Frank!!! I know you'll like that radio even if you think it is not the prettiest radio on the market ;)
I love mine; I got a deal on mine last year just like you did...$350 for the radio and three rx's!
The thing is rock solid; never had an issue; supports a 2S life battery; runs forever (ok, not forever, but a long time) on a single charge, and there are some very knowledgeable owners of this radio on the forums to help with any programming questions. The manual is pretty darn good too.

Sorry Frank for the tangent. Anyway, I'm glad you got the SD-10G, I know you'll like it and it will do right by you.

Cheers,
Mike

What is the balance tab that comes on that battery? http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.ph...li-po-sd-10g-11x-mt4-mx-3x-7-4v-2300-20c.html

I have a CellPro charger. What do you use?

Thanks,

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Good news (at least I hope so anyway). The balance tab is a JST/XH plug. That is the same tab I get when I order my other LiPos which means I don't have to buy another adaptor.

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Sadly, then again maybe not, the deal on the SD-10G never came through.

So now, I am back looking at radios again and thinking I may just break down and get a DX8. It is not that costly of a radio and I can use it with those BNF models. I never thought I would be even considering them, but there are just too many of them out there now not to want to buy and fly some.

I guess I could do worse. I have never been a big fan of the spektrum radios, especially after all the brown out concerns, but guess they have that problem fixed by now? And I wonder where they fall into the latency race.

Frank

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sadly, then again maybe not, the deal on the SD-10G never came through.

So now, I am back looking at radios again and thinking I may just break down and get a DX8. It is not that costly of a radio and I can use it with those BNF models. I never thought I would be even considering them, but there are just too many of them out there now not to want to buy and fly some.

I guess I could do worse. I have never been a big fan of the spektrum radios, especially after all the brown out concerns, but guess they have that problem fixed by now? And I wonder where they fall into the latency race.

Frank

Dx8 is a great radio!

Latency numbers are good ( someone posted them a while back in th radio wars thread)

Haven't had a brown out in over a year. Most of the problems I had were insufficient power to the rx, not the rx itself.