• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Hardest Thing To Figure Out

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, if you fellas that are smarter than I want to write a single post that explains your research and includes all the pertinent data, I can make it into an article on our CMS system :)

Aerosi

30cc
Once I actually reach my final decision and make my purchase, I can definitely share my methodology behind the madness. The transmitter is a pretty big decision (at least to me) in that its not only about that initial cost...there's so much on the backend of it as well, and the fact I have to live with this thing for the next few years. There are plenty of guys out there that have all 3 of the ones I'm looking at, and that's awesome...I really wish I was in that boat. But because I'm not, and I've been in the hobby for a few years now, I know exactly what I'm up against, and how a seemingly minor annoyance now will turn into utter hatred/frustration after about a year or two of putting up with it.

I'll be happy to put up a detailed (probably OCD) perspective of all the factors I considered when making my decision and the reasons behind each, and attach my scoring spreadsheet....especially if it can help someone else out.

Pretty funny that I'm spending so much time researching transmitters that are ~$400, yet for our SUV we just picked up in July I was in and out of the dealer in 3 hours :rolleyes:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I'd love to see your research as well. Maybe it will help me. And it would be cool to see why the A9 ranked so poorly. Maybe I am missing something? And if you inlcuded the SD-10G in your research that would have been perfect. I really need to get some hands on these Txs and see how they feel. I am going to the Big Jolt down in Chino on 3 Nov so I'll be sure to ask around.

I wonder if there are going to be some big sales at the AMA Expo this year? I went to the RC Expo last spring and some of the vendors had some sweet deals going on.

Frank

Aerosi

30cc
I'll get it posted soon hopefully. My whole spreadsheet scoring is based purely on my opinion...so for example, on "looks" I gave the A9 a "7" and the DX8 and 8FG a "9" and "10" respectively. Totally personal preference as I love the features of the A9, but I think its SO retro and ugly, and I really hate that wire on on back. I know, I know, I probably sound like a tool for having "looks" as part of my decision, but the truth is...it IS a slight consideration for me. And that's just one field out of, now, 16. Really, the A9 ranked lower for me and MY needs...and even then, not so bad. It was that random point here and point there that took it out.

By the way, if you're interested, ADC has an outstanding price on the A9 w/Optima 7 receiver. Not sure how long the sale will last, but $335 is awesome.

I did consider the SD-10G as well, and I've heard and read nothing but good and no real negatives about it. For this one, it was a matter of availability. I don't know anyone that uses one, LHS doesn't stock them, and I've never handled one in person. Also, since I use non-brand (aka cheap) receivers for my foamies and such, their availability and price is a factor for me and I don't think Airtronics has them. I just don't feel like paying $40-$50 for a new receiver every time I decide to pick up a new beater plane.

Good call on getting your hands on them...I really liked the way the 8FG felt, and of course the DX8 is familiar to me. Good luck in Chino...those events usually have good sales. I'll try and get my research posted soon...

Aerosi

30cc
Another wrench just got thrown in to my decision...Futaba's new 14SG. Supposed to go for $599. If TH gets this one on Easy Pay, this one will probably be a no brainer for me...

I have a Futaba 8J it was a tough decision between going the DX8 or stumping up extra money for the 8FG....

I decided that I have no use for telemetry and although would be a nice to have was not a deciding factor in choosing a radio.

What it boiled down to was simply flying FHSS was something I have been doing for some time and....I wont jinx it by saying anything ;)

But do have a Spektrum and my son is happy flying his DX6i and if Santa has an eye on the market if their are any deals to be had perhaps my son may get an upgrade...but the thing is the Orange RX's are in my opinion better than the originals....yet to have an issue...which can't be said for original Spektrum RX's.....they work great and are value for money and have no issue trusting them...

I elected due to cost not to go Fasst as the RX's are just stupidly priced...peace of mind..perhaps but how many body parts should you sell to kit your fleet out with Fasst RX's But also doing some research found that Futaba will move Faast into only the top end radio's and will concentrate on the FHSS market...so felt that the 8J was possibly worth a punt....and the speed of it and response have been very pleased with...and especially as already on FHSS and had the confidence in the protocol

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Space,
I was like you when making my last upgrade in that I didn't really think I had any use for telemetry. I stuck with Spektrum mainly because I have a micro model that I wanted to be able to fly with the Tx and I had several Spektrum receivers that I didn't want to have to replace. Also I seemed to be able to find better deals on Spektrum gear offering bang for buck that is hard to match.

I eventually went for a discounted package that by chance included a telemetry module. Having now used telemetry I'm now converted, it is massively useful for electric models. The best single feature is that it sends back real time battery voltage so you can never again be caught out by a battery going down. That's got to be a worthwhile feature? Battery voltage is the big hitter but it also records voltage at the Rx which can be handy for checking your BEC is holding up ok, motor temperature is also quite useful. All of these things can be set to alarm if they fall below a user defined pre-set value.

I liked the telemetry so much that I've since got myself a second AR8000 Rx and telemetry module to replace the standard non-telemetry receiver I had fitted in another model. I plan of fitting them to all my planes eventually. Now I've experienced telemetry IMHO it really is a great feature that once tried would be hard to give up on.

Your probably right Steve....but as I am confident in timers and check my bats before and after each flight - I am on top of issues that may crop up...but like you say...if I had telemetry I possibly would never be without it....

There are some after market kit which will give me telemetry and then some...and are not badly priced although would make sense to have a telemetry enabled TX from the get go...

It was so close and having felt them both in my hand and seeing that there was so little aesthetically and price being the same although the DX 8 was slightly cheaper as on offer at the time with a telemetry module...it was the FHSS that I was used to that swung me to the 8J....

The poor guys in the shop put up with me for well over an hour swinging back on forth before making a decision :eek:

Aerosi

30cc
But do have a Spektrum and my son is happy flying his DX6i and if Santa has an eye on the market if their are any deals to be had perhaps my son may get an upgrade...but the thing is the Orange RX's are in my opinion better than the originals....yet to have an issue...which can't be said for original Spektrum RX's.....they work great and are value for money and have no issue trusting them...

I elected due to cost not to go Fasst as the RX's are just stupidly priced...peace of mind..perhaps but how many body parts should you sell to kit your fleet out with Fasst RX's But also doing some research found that Futaba will move Faast into only the top end radio's and will concentrate on the FHSS market...so felt that the 8J was possibly worth a punt....and the speed of it and response have been very pleased with...and especially as already on FHSS and had the confidence in the protocol

I agree with the Orange RX's being excellent. I have never had one fail and I've thrown them in a bunch of my models. I still can't bring myself to put one in a really expensive model. At that point, the cost/benefit is well worth it for my peace of mind, but in reality I still have no first-hand reason to not trust them.

I thought about the 8J as well, especially due to the receiver price, and heck...overall system price. I don't know anyone that has one though and haven't handled one at my LHS. Also, there are a bunch of FAAST-compatible receivers from FrSky and such that are very well priced, and are a reasonable substitute for the Orange RX's I use. This is pretty much what is pushing me in the direction of Futaba 8FG or 14SG. Plus, I will still have my good old DX6i, so that option will always be there as well.

As far as telemetry goes, for me it's definitely not a "must-have," more like a "nice-to-have"...I can definitely see it's usefulness with receiver battery voltage warnings and such. It IS a factor in my decision for what tx I want, but not a deal-breaker. In a few years, I can't imagine too many systems without it as it seems like it's becoming the new standard. Hence, the Futaba 14SG seems to be the answer for me....the price will be a stretch out of my initial budget, but I feel like that's the direction I will probably go. Cool thing is it will open me up to being able to use all those FHSS receivers as well...

gyro

GSN Contributor
I now have 6 or 7 of the AR8000 rx and TM1000 combos, and use them in all my planes except one. I feel the ability to set alarms on the motor temp, batt voltage, and Rx voltage is invaluable, and I won't be caught without it now.
As has already been said, I've yet to have a LVC crash since...

-G