• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The EXTRA 300 EXT Build Thread

AKfreak

150cc
I was going to cut my SFG's from plywood, but I am really concerned with weight. With that said, I stick built them with balsa stock. They are mocked up, and ready to be sanded and covered. BTW these things weigh nothing, and I hope they are strong enough, because this it my first time trying to build with Balsa.
13349278234_c05716c2be_c.jpg

I think the majority of the strength in SFGs comes from the covering. Cover one and see how it compares to your MXS ones.

AKfreak

150cc
Well I figured out a few things. If you use thin CA on the edges of the outside of the sturcture, the balsa stiffens up. The CA raises the grain of the wood a little, so you have you have to sand it a little.

As to the covering, I have never done anything like a SFG before, but here it is.

13373760983_48c3307341_c.jpg
[/url]
Extra 300 EXT SFG's covered-2

I have one completely done, ready to install on the plane.
13373612165_e0a36bc61e_c.jpg

13373612375_0015cbb55d_c.jpg

AKfreak

150cc
I finished my SFG' and mounted them to the wing. I hope they will hold up as 3D flying is kind of violent. I used blind T-Nuts with epoxy to attach them. The actual thickness of the T-Nut flange, spaces the SFG nicely away from the aileron for friction free movement. I might have to make some sort of outside washer strip out of plastic, the washers kind of dig into the soft balsa. Everything custom is always a wip.

13418818153_c551600d5a_c.jpg

13418818213_e15c2f11b1_c.jpg

Also I stole the idea to paint the control horns from [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION]. I love the way it looks compared to that tan fiberglass.

13419068144_006bb7c77b_c.jpg

13419068094_a6ce115677_c.jpg

The build is slowly grinding along. My servos will be here in a couple of days. I am waiting on extensions, an a RX. Still need to determine what 3" spinner to buy, if I go with CF, I have to drill and tap my motor shaft, or buy one from tru-turn and hope it fits the 4330. I also need to order my stand offs. and figure out my BEC.

I was hoping to use a 2S lipo for an RX battery, but not sure how the XQ 4013's will like that? I am assuming I will have to buy or make a voltage regulator. This first one is going to take me a while, but in the end I am sure it will be worth it.

If you are doing a RX pack over a BEC, then I would just use LiFE batteries. They put out a steady 6.6V and have found to be safe with 6V servos. Also you can charge them in the plane. Once you add a regulator, you might as well use a BEC off the flight packs or do a BEC off a separate battery and set that to 6 or 6.5V.

http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-1100mah-2s-6-6v-life-receiver-battery.html

As far as spinner, all my electric 30cc have used these.

http://extremeflightrc.com/html/Accessories.html#spinners

3DHS sells them as well.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Extreme-Flight-RC-76mm-Spinner--White_p_15466.html

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Those SFG's look great! I like the painted control horns as well.

I agree with everything Enterprise posted about the RX pack. LiFe packs are pretty inexpensive at value hobby. I have had good luck with the geforce ones I have purchased from there.