• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Lol wow I'm still amazed there is snow out in Arizona! Here in Oregon we normally see lots of rain right now but we not getting it for the second year in a row. The jet stream is pushing down further and missing us.

Found it! 2 weeks of rain. We are lucky to get 2 weeks all year!

weather.png

syzyguy

50cc
Bad weather means I get bored and do projects... So lights are going on the 55" Edge so I can fly when there is no wind . I have never done this on something big so we will have to see how it works. Making some little posts to stick them on instead of the sfg is probably in order but they seem plenty bright.
uploadfromtaptalk1431123406855.jpg

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Bad weather means I get bored and do projects... So lights are going on the 55" Edge so I can fly when there is no wind . I have never done this on something big so we will have to see how it works. Making some little posts to stick them on instead of the sfg is probably in order but they seem plenty bright.
View attachment 34988

Could you post exactly what components you used to make those lights? I have looked at cree LED's in the past and almost bought some... they are pretty cheap, but I have not ever set up any to run off a lipo. How many cells are you using to drive them? Also, what resistors are you using?

syzyguy

50cc
Could you post exactly what components you used to make those lights? I have looked at cree LED's in the past and almost bought some... they are pretty cheap, but I have not ever set up any to run off a lipo. How many cells are you using to drive them? Also, what resistors are you using?

Sure thing @3dNater!

These are the lights:
2x 42mm Car Interior 16 LED White SMD light 3528
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-42mm-Car...-Dome-lamp-Bulb-211-2-578-212-2-/121195366780

There are lots of sellers for these, and there are a variety of bigger and smaller sizes and 10-20 packs for around $20. These are 25 lumin.

I just carefully cut the metal connectors off and soldered on my own wires.

20150508_153942.jpg

Resistors are built right on and there are 2 solder points on each terminal. I just wired them all off a little 2S in parallel. I did it off a 2S battery while I was testing ... a 180mah ran 4 for about 15 minutes and the resistors didn't even get warm (it isn't noticeably brighter on 7.4v 2S rail vs 3S). 3S is too much for them though ... resistors get hot in a couple minutes ... not quite sure how these are actually 12v unless they plan on them being intermittent usage. An epoxy dip will help act as a heatsink and make them waterproof.

The Aerobees side-force generators screw on ... so I'm going to get some clear plastic board to make little posts and screw them on the end (with or without the SFG).

Size of the actual board is 16mm x 33mm and the led block is 16mmx21mm. They weight pretty much nothing and I'm going to outfit my Crack Pitts with a couple.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

Thanks for the info! Did you notice much more brightness on 3s vs 2s? I am interested in doing something on my 72" Extra. Perhaps I would need to double them up?

syzyguy

50cc
3S was definitely brighter than 2S ... tonight I'll plug everything in and see exactly how much. Comparing by lighting up a piece of paper I'd say only 15% brighter but it runs hot.

This looks like it will be fine for 55"... inverse square is a pain so 72" means the fuse will be a lot dimmer than mine. I will fiddle a bit and see.

syzyguy

50cc
Thanks for the info! Did you notice much more brightness on 3s vs 2s? I am interested in doing something on my 72" Extra. Perhaps I would need to double them up?
[MENTION=4]3dNater[/MENTION] Here is a night shot with a Crack Pitts and MSXc mini lit up for comparison with TwistedHobbys setup. Plenty bright enough if you keep it close. The left side of the Edge is 3S and the right is 2S. I only have the top set installed right now. No real difference. uploadfromtaptalk1431152707562.jpg

3dNater

[MENTION=4]3dNater[/MENTION] Here is a night shot with a Crack Pitts and MSXc mini lit up for comparison with TwistedHobbys setup. Plenty bright enough if you keep it close. The left side of the Edge is 3S and the right is 2S. I only have the top set installed right now. No real difference. View attachment 34990
Thanks man!

6172crew

50cc
3D Nater, I stacked my 3DHS 41 Edge, was looking at the aerobeez EPP like yours, do they fly as nice as the basla covered kits?