• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
@SnowDog sent me a link to this video. Dang it's wicked cool. Could this be a game changer for our filming needs? Looks pretty dang cool and at a price of $499 plus shipping it seems like a great value! I have sent the company an email asking some questions and will report back what I hear.
[/QUOTE]

The price is right and the follow me feature is fantastic. I have the DJI Phantom 2+ that I use for business and it is a good quad but it doesn't have sound or follow me and it cost 3x more.
On the other hand... it looks like this lily cam quad cannot be controlled like the dji phantom. I do think this lily could canabalize some dji sales.

3dNater

The idea of putting the mic on the tracking device is pure genius. No rotor prop noise. I wonder if it is self aware... meaning can it see obstacles and avoid them?
This was my first question when I watched the video... especially the shot where he threw it off the bridge. What if it got stuck underneath the bridge? I guess it would only be stuck for a max of 29 minutes lol.

3dNater

I personally see the following feature as a cool modular add-on to your existing quad but the magic in a box for the average joe consumer is really cool. I wonder how much programming autonomy the end user gets... i.e. what parameters can they adjust in terms of altitude, distance allowed from the subject etc.

SnowDog

The idea of putting the mic on the tracking device is pure genius. No rotor prop noise. I wonder if it is self aware... meaning can it see obstacles and avoid them?

No - that was one question I did notice...this version does not have obstacle avoidance...the mfr declared that they did not add it to keep the price down.

for most flying applications, I think that would be okay.

Also, I'm not sure if the $499 is the full price or just the pre-order deposit and another $499 when ready...still pretty new for sure, but very interesting anyway!

SnowDog

Obstacle avoidance:
That is a great question. Yes! Lily maintains the same relative altitude from the user. Currently, Lily does not have any obstacle avoidance capabilities (cost and design choice). We have found that most outdoor activities do not need obstacle avoidance because Lily can follow the user's path. But again, there are no guarantees that Lily will not hit anything while it is following you. If Lily is about to hit an object you can press the middle button on the tracking device and Lily will stop, hold its position, and continue to film you.

Price is $999, availability Feb 2016, pre-order now! :D (not me, no way, too far in advance...they want me, the consumer, to finance their alpha and beta testing!?)

btw, it is waterproof as well! video shows it being dropped in the water and flying out!!

http://www.lily.camera/

Last edited by a moderator:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
25mph?? I'd like one that can do highway speeds. You know, roaming around in the desert on the toys..

Bipenut53

150cc
[MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION] sent me a link to this video. Dang it's wicked cool. Could this be a game changer for our filming needs? Looks pretty dang cool and at a price of $499 plus shipping it seems like a great value! I have sent the company an email asking some questions and will report back what I hear.

[video=youtube;4vGcH0Bk3hg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg[/video]

Ok thats cool!! I'll be watching for updates on this!!

Bipenut53

150cc
Ok so it is official....... Extreme flight and 3DHobby Shop are merging!! They are also going to be introducing some new airplane lines, war bird, sport planes, new electric power choices all under the Extreme Flight parent company..... By the looks of things this can only be good for us the consumer!! Main warehouse is in Georgia with the possibility of a west coast one as well!! Great news as far as I am concerned!!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Excellent news. Would really like if they would reintroduce the 88" Yak again with all of the uber lightening/stiffening techniques, or add another 88"/50CC airplane to their lineup.