• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

That Pesky old issue, Noise!

E

Eye Can't Fly

Two planes, a 33% Yak 54 with a EME120 spinning a 27X10 Falcon on DL100 mufflers (rarely having to run over 3/4 throttle). And a GP Giant Super Sportster with a DLE30 turning a Xoar 18X8 on stock muffler. Neither of these plane rip the prop.

Spats

100cc
Its funny, I fly at two fields. One has NO noise restrictions and everyone uses cans and it a very quite flying site. The other has a DB limit and everyone is pushing the limit with regular mufflers and prop noise.

The noise to us pilots is like music but to the outside general public it can be very annoying and I totally understand that. Noise, other than an accident is usually the main reasons I have seen clubs/fields go away.

Eye Can't Fly;1978 wrote: I was told the other day that my plane was too noisy. To the best of my knowledge it is between 96-97dB on thin grass at WOT. I've searched all over the place and haven't come up with a standard protocol for how to check the plane. One site said to check at three different spots 2 ft above the ground 20ft away from the plane and average the readings. Other places say 10ft away from the plane.

This wouldn't have been a big deal but I was 450km (~265 miles) away from home. With an old plane with no tunnel, and limited access to 3 blade props. No real joy in travelling that far to stretch the National and Club Noise tolerance rate. I packed up and headed home....

could you please tell me what you are running?

motor and muffler, size and type,

thank you

E

Eye Can't Fly

Yup, no where else to put anything (pipes/cans). The test I performed on it says it was 98 dB 10' out the rear, 2' off the ground. 97 right wing, 96 left wing, 92 out the front.

E

Eye Can't Fly

Nope, if a plane is over 96 dB on any of the measurements it isn't supposed to fly, until it is brought down to 95. (At that club) other clubs do things differently. If your coming North of the 49th, you would be wise to contact the club contact and/or the CD to see what their tolerance is and how they test.

On a side note, I haven't been able to find anyone that they have actually tested at a comp.

so what are you going to do? go to another club?

seems like most people there with bigger engines must have cans or pipes? in order to fly there?

i have heard about clubs like these.

looks like more and more are also becoming like that.