• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

That Pesky old issue, Noise!

E

Eye Can't Fly

I was told the other day that my plane was too noisy. To the best of my knowledge it is between 96-97dB on thin grass at WOT. I've searched all over the place and haven't come up with a standard protocol for how to check the plane. One site said to check at three different spots 2 ft above the ground 20ft away from the plane and average the readings. Other places say 10ft away from the plane.

This wouldn't have been a big deal but I was 450km (~265 miles) away from home. With an old plane with no tunnel, and limited access to 3 blade props. No real joy in travelling that far to stretch the National and Club Noise tolerance rate. I packed up and headed home....

Typically, they take measurements 3' off the ground, 25' away, from what I can remember of my IMAC days....... But I could be wrong.......

What you've got for readings, really isn't loud........ My opinion.

E

Eye Can't Fly

ChickenBalls;2013 wrote: The 2' off ground, and 20' away is AMA's noise recommendation to measure from.

Yup, thats the one I found, but they didn't say where the meter should be located. In front, behind, each side or all of the previous and average.

E

Eye Can't Fly

I'll give that a whirl. Do appreciate it. I don't live in the land of the AMA, we have MAAC, who knows some day I may get to fly in the USA.