• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Splitting Cowls made easy

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks guys, it's really simple if you don't overthink it o death. Makes for very nice and clean cowl installs.

Capt. I made my own tabs, as mentioned a small square of plywood or even a strip the length of the seam works equally as well.

What a great thread Terry. You have explained this very well and the pictures accompaning your postings have been very helpful. Thank you for sharing valuable information.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
What a great thread Terry. You have explained this very well and the pictures accompaning your postings have been very helpful. Thank you for sharing valuable information.

Your welcome, it's easy once you get past the "butt pucker" part of gluing our cowl back together and trying to get it back apart when dry :)

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Ha, my "butt pucker" moment was drawing the saw to start the cut.........LOL. Turned out great......thanks again Terry.

Attachments

• Ply Tabs & t-nuts.jpg
    Ply Tabs & t-nuts.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 477
  • Cowl Fasteners.jpg
    Cowl Fasteners.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 491

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Ha, my "butt pucker" moment was drawing the saw to start the cut.........LOL. Turned out great......thanks again Terry.

Those biela props are sexy. Spats almost has me convinced to try the GP123 on a Viper now that the cowl will it one (I think, will be close with straight plugs).

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I was going to run a Biela 28X12 with the GP123 and Extra airframe. The Biela prop hub is so thick the prop shaft is 1/8" from being flush with the face of the prop. Then you need another 1/8" for the prop washer. I'm going to return it and get a Falcon 28X10 or 29X10.

What is showing in the picture is a 25X10 3 blade, it barely fits. I used the 3 blade on my DLE-111.

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Falcon 28x10 on a da120 pulls like a truck but hauls the Mail on the top end. I like the 29x9 for balls out 3D but always wondered about the 29x9W I heard was available.

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
Falcon 28x10 on a da120 pulls like a truck but hauls the Mail on the top end. I like the 29x9 for balls out 3D but always wondered about the 29x9W I heard was available.
A buddy of mine compared the Falcon 29x9 to the 29x9w and he prefers the wide version. This was on a Hangar 9 Extra 300 with a DLE 120. 29x9w is all I use on my birds! Accelerates both my PAU 300sp and 3DHS Edge from a hover almost like a foamy.