• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Spektrum DX18

gyro

GSN Contributor
Look what the box crushers brought me yesterday:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372950717.247978.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Cool programming menus. Easy to see all servos at once!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372952181.756210.jpg

Plus, the selector/scroll wheel feels better and sturdier. Liking the radio so far...
Except the fact I have to manually program all my planes, since the dx8 files don't transfer over :(

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Gary,

Brilliant minds must think alike (or is that 'fools seldom differ'?)

Anyway, I just picked up a DX18 too as an upgrade from my DX8. I've had it just over a week. So far I'm real pleased with it, I don't see myself using most of the channels as I'm stuck with small to medium size models for the foreseeable future, but some of the features are very nice. For instance the mixes with multi point curves should come in useful for some of my planes that need lots of mixing, and inbuilt data logging is cool too, though you could do it with the DX8 with 3rd party software.

I've flown a few models and my heli with it, it felt a little different at first but after two or three flights i was totally comfortable. I figured out after flying why it felt different; the gimbal housings on the DX18 are angled slightly so that in the neutral position the sticks too are canted out. On the DX8 gimbals are mounted flat to the face of the Tx with the sticks perfectly perpendicular. The outward facing sticks do seem more ergonomic and it reduces the reach when moving sticks toward the centre of the Tx.

PS... Best upgrade to latest firmware BEFORE programming in your models because the upgrade wipes out the memory. If you have programmed and want to upgrade all is not lost. Export the models to your SD card, upgrade, then re-import them.

Olie

50cc
I accidentally DX18'ed today.

Picked it up for $549 at my local store, thats about $500USD.

TX only, I didn't need all the other guff that comes with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olie

50cc
It's amazing.
Certainly a huge jump over the dx7, and my flying has improved already. The larger easier to hold body and more sturdy sticks have resulted in a vast stability jump in hovers and pointed rolls.

Super happy with it so far.