• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Spektrum DX18

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gary,

Brilliant minds must think alike (or is that 'fools seldom differ'?)

Anyway, I just picked up a DX18 too as an upgrade from my DX8. I've had it just over a week. So far I'm real pleased with it, I don't see myself using most of the channels as I'm stuck with small to medium size models for the foreseeable future, but some of the features are very nice. For instance the mixes with multi point curves should come in useful for some of my planes that need lots of mixing, and inbuilt data logging is cool too, though you could do it with the DX8 with 3rd party software.

I've flown a few models and my heli with it, it felt a little different at first but after two or three flights i was totally comfortable. I figured out after flying why it felt different; the gimbal housings on the DX18 are angled slightly so that in the neutral position the sticks too are canted out. On the DX8 gimbals are mounted flat to the face of the Tx with the sticks perfectly perpendicular. The outward facing sticks do seem more ergonomic and it reduces the reach when moving sticks toward the centre of the Tx.

PS... Best upgrade to latest firmware BEFORE programming in your models because the upgrade wipes out the memory. If you have programmed and want to upgrade all is not lost. Export the models to your SD card, upgrade, then re-import them.

That's awesome! I know when you and I are in agreement on something, it's gotta be good! :p

Thanks for the heads up on the programming, I'm glad you told me to export my planes, I'd might have forgotten and I'd have been seriously pissed! I manually input all my data (including mixes and subtrims, etc) in from the Dx8

It's amazing.
Certainly a huge jump over the dx7, and my flying has improved already. The larger easier to hold body and more sturdy sticks have resulted in a vast stability jump in hovers and pointed rolls.

Super happy with it so far.

Congrats on getting one Olie! Thats great news that it's helping your flying improve, maybe there is hope for me!

Props

50cc
I have had my DX18 now for almost a year. I can't imagine being without it. Moved to it from a JR 11X.

I also had a DX8, but soon found the feel so different (18 was way better) that it just sat in my case, so sold it.

I find the DX18's programming very easy and straight forward. I am doing programming I didn't even know was possible on my past radios.

Olie

50cc
As above, I am loving the easy to setup mixes, Multi point curves for awesome KE performance are a breeze.

2 button click for throttle kill curve for my electrics I am digging alot.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I wonder if and when some of the QQ programming features will find their way into future DX18 software updates? Guess Horizon will at least leave it a little while so as not to upset those who just got the QQ

gyro

GSN Contributor
I wonder if and when some of the QQ programming features will find their way into future DX18 software updates? Guess Horizon will at least leave it a little while so as not to upset those who just got the QQ

What are the differences?

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
The one I recall is that on the QQ when the mix value is below 10% you can adjust to 0.5% rather than 1% accuracy. You would no doubt have to be a very precise flyer to notice it but it's an interesting addition. There are some other differences but as I've forgotten what they are they cant of grabbed my attention very well (or I'm getting old and my memory is fading), I think one of the differences may have been a wing type for three servos per aileron suitable for giant scale models, the standard DX18 'only' does two servos per aileron (though a y lead would solve that one).

Last edited by a moderator: