• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Spektrum DX18

gyro

GSN Contributor
The one I recall is that on the QQ when the mix value is below 10% you can adjust to 0.5% rather than 1% accuracy. You would no doubt have to be a very precise flyer to notice it but it's an interesting addition. There are some other differences but as I've forgotten what they are they cant of grabbed my attention very well (or I'm getting old and my memory is fading), I think one of the differences may have been a wing type for three servos per aileron suitable for giant scale models.

3 servos per wing would be cool for the future

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
The standard DX18 will do three (or 4) servos 'per wing' where you have two servos on aileron and one (or two) on flaps. But there is no option for three servos on the aileron directly in the wing type menu.

You could easily get around it by mixing a spare channel (or channels) off aileron at 100% mix, so that the other channel and it's servo followed the aileron servo exactly. Having the wing type pre-programmed just makes it a little easier to set up but doesn't really do anything that the Tx cant do already.

Last edited by a moderator:
What ltd ed number is yours enterprise?

847 I think. I would have to look. I got it within a week or two of the release.

3 servo wing and a few other wing types are unique to the QQ. Horizon has said some of these features WILL NOT make it to the 18. You can accomplish it with a mix with trim, but it still makes it easier.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I'd put money on it that the three servo aileron wing option and similar features will make it onto the stock 18 sooner or later. Only time will tell if i'm right but it seems like something that will probably have to be done to keep up with what the competition is offering. Some of the more 'personalised' QQ features probably wont make the transition I'd guess.

Not that a three servo aileron is ever likely to interest me, those planes wouldn't fit in my car:)

I played with the Jeti at Nall and I do not like the hand held one. It is very heavy and bulky and did not fit my hands well, even with a strap. I could get used to the tray, but that is not the best for 3D type flying. The rep showed me some of the setup features and selling points and every one of them was in the DX-18 already. Now it does have voice and a few other nice features, but not compelling enough for me to switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, finally got to fly mine today. Flew my MXS and my 85 Katana... I could definitely fell the difference in the gimbals compared to my dx8. I also really enjoyed the checklist feature.
Very nice radio all around!

joshgluck

100cc
But did you make a coffin for an 87 is the real question :p

Ok back on topic.. so what was the most compelling reason to move up? Ive got a dx8 and I'm moving from tipping to gripping the sticks. I have been thinking about moving to the a9 because I wanted to drive down the rx costs. The dx9 might get me to stay with spek but id really like to know what people between my altitude and Joe smiths see as rhe compelling reasons to go dx18

gyro

GSN Contributor
But did you make a coffin for an 87 is the real question :p

Ok back on topic.. so what was the most compelling reason to move up? Ive got a dx8 and I'm moving from tipping to gripping the sticks. I have been thinking about moving to the a9 because I wanted to drive down the rx costs. The dx9 might get me to stay with spek but id really like to know what people between my altitude and Joe smiths see as rhe compelling reasons to go dx18

I upgraded primarily due to the promotion they were running, that made my net cost about $125 after I sold my dx8 and included extra receivers (that I didn't need)
I'm really happy with the smooth gimbals, better programming options, and telemetry logging.