• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

RedwingRC 50cc 330sc Build Log!

Question for Tim...I was originally thinking of trying an EME 70 twin in the Extra 330 because it should easily fit in the cowl and reduce vibration (as well as have some good "get up and go"). Now that you guys are now selling the PTE 72 I'm considering that as an option. The EME has angled spark plugs so it saves a little space.

Have you guys tried to fit the PTE 72 in the 330sc? If so, does it fit without having to cut out holes in the sides of the cowl?

Thanks

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Mike, what did you do as far as the radio equipment install? It doesn't look like there is a tray for a receiver or a power box. I want both the Redwing Slick and Extra. I've noticed the slick doesn't have much space in the fuse area. I currently have Futaba 7c radio and I'm using a Redwing red powerbox in a 86" Extra 300. The powerbox is really nice since I've only got 7 channels to work with, but it does require a good bit of space and adds some extra weight.
[MENTION=3913]FireDawg[/MENTION] Thanks for the questions! The tray is something I built just using some heavier balsa (3drcforums sticker on it) and I double sided taped my receiver which is a Futaba R6208SB. I'm not using a powerboard for this because I can run all my channels without one and it's all High Voltage at 7.4. I'm also using a Futaba 8FG Super for my radio, which I must say is super simple for programming and just feels so good in the hands. My last radio was a Futaba T7 2.4 which was a great radio but with the 8FG Super I can extend up to 14 channels... Never needed more then 10 so far which is why I used a Smart-Fly EQ6 on my 35% Pilot Extra.

TimP

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Mike, almost ready for the weekend? Our event in ST Louis is this weekend too! I know how busy you've been :)

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Yep!!! Super excited. Plane is just awaiting a spinner and prop [MENTION=335]SupaTim[/MENTION] is bringing from Washington Friday that he's drilled out and is all ready to go! Look for tons of pics and vids!

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Well Mike, almost ready for the weekend? Our event in ST Louis is this weekend too! I know how busy you've been :)

Good luck with your event. (Not sure if I should say Tim or Heather or just RedwingRC) I would love to be there for it but that is quite a hike from San Antonio.

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Yep!!! Super excited. Plane is just awaiting a spinner and prop @SupaTim is bringing from Washington Friday that he's drilled out and is all ready to go! Look for tons of pics and vids!

Good luck with your event as well Mike. I'm not so sure I would hand over the controls to a brand new airplane so readily. I have enough flights on my Redwing Yak 55 that I know the plane well enough to allow someone else to fly it now, but that wasn't the case on maiden day. :sadface:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Were gonna have fun with this plane this weekend! I really want the PNW guys to get a feel for redwing planes and what better opportunity than at Monster Fest!?!?! I plan on doing the maiden early... Check her over from tip to tail before letting others take her for spin!

Nice. My Futaba 7c and 617 receiver is a bit of a hindrance for me. The power box is a cheaper way around my channel restrictions and HV issues, but comes at the cost of weight and space.

I'd like to upgrade my radio, but damn, good Futaba gear is expensive. I've actually considered switching brands but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of new receivers. I'm in a quandary.

Anyway, good luck and have fun on maiden day!