• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing RC Extra 330SC 50-60CC

SnowDog

I hinged the rudder and elevators last night as well...also moving on to the ailerons soon.

I'm having second thoughts about the motor choice...not because I think the GP-61 is the wrong choice...but because I compared the size of the fuselage of the RedWingRC 89" Extra to the size of the fuselage of the 3DHS 89" Slick and the Slick fuselage seems to be larger. I've got a DLE-55RA in the 89" Slick and it pulls that airframe around with authority on a 22x8 prop. I'm thinking I would enjoy the 89" Extra on the DLE-55RA and perhaps the GP-61 would be more fun (?!) in the 89" Slick? Both motors appear to be very close in terms of weight: 3lbs 6oz.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I also kind of like the idea of putting a known engine that is already tuned into a brand new airframe to avoid any dead-sticks that might happen while tuning the new engine...

gyro

GSN Contributor
I agree with your thinking, and id likely do the same thing. Also, you'll cut the cowl much less this way, and the 89" Slick is already cut for side dump too.

Also, get a 23x8 on that 55ra, 22" is underpropped. :)

SnowDog

I agree with your thinking, and id likely do the same thing. Also, you'll cut the cowl much less this way, and the 89" Slick is already cut for side dump too.

Also, get a 23x8 on that 55ra, 22" is underpropped. :)

I've got the pitts muffler for the GP-61 so that is not really the issue there.

Also, I respectfully disagree on the 22x8 making the DLE-55RA underpropped...the last two weekends, I've had a deadstick on my 89" Slick right at the 12 minute mark of flying...motor flew great until that time mark, then just died, twice. After the first dead stick, I richened up the top end 1/8 turn thinking it was too lean...but then it deadsticked again the next weekend. Two very experienced gas pilots both told me it sounded as though the 23x8 VVRC prop was working the motor too hard and causing it to overheat and quit. As you know, there is not a ventilation issue on that particular 89" Slick ;) Based on their advice, I installed a 22x8 Xoar prop and the motor really came to life...everyone at the field could tell the difference in the sound of the motor, and I had two 15 minute flights with no deadstick, so I'm going to stick with experience and continue using the 22x8 Xoar on the DLE-55RA. (We can continue this discussion on the 89" Slick thread so we don't derail this one) :)

njswede

150cc
I've got the pitts muffler for the GP-61 so that is not really the issue there.

Also, I respectfully disagree on the 22x8 making the DLE-55RA underpropped...the last two weekends, I've had a deadstick on my 89" Slick right at the 12 minute mark of flying...motor flew great until that time mark, then just died, twice. After the first dead stick, I richened up the top end 1/8 turn thinking it was too lean...but then it deadsticked again the next weekend. Two very experienced gas pilots both told me it sounded as though the 23x8 VVRC prop was working the motor too hard and causing it to overheat and quit. As you know, there is not a ventilation issue on that particular 89" Slick ;) Based on their advice, I installed a 22x8 Xoar prop and the motor really came to life...everyone at the field could tell the difference in the sound of the motor, and I had two 15 minute flights with no deadstick, so I'm going to stick with experience and continue using the 22x8 Xoar on the DLE-55RA. (We can continue this discussion on the 89" Slick thread so we don't derail this one) :)

I may try a 22x8 on my DA50. It runs fine, just a little sluggish in acceleration.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Mike, sounds like it's still not tuned right, or not broken in fully yet.
I was running a Xoar sword 23x8 on the old DLE 55 side dump that came with that slick when I bought it, and performance was excellent.
YMMV.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I've always ran a 23-8 on the 55 even on the DA-50. 22-10 might be ok. But a 22-8 seems way underload. My 23-8 Xion was a missle on mine. Hoping the 24-9 will be the same!

where are the vids dang. [MENTION=1185]cardenflyer[/MENTION] [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION].. yall need to get these things built lol