• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Rebuilding the Compy MX2.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
I get so pissed off every time my planes get wrinkled in the sun. I guarantee my next big plane will be fiberglass.

For what it's worth mine has a stock 3W-170 on it. It's a rocket ship and has enough butt to haul up about 15 pounds of extra pyro gear.... When legal.... Plus another couple pounds of lighting gear.

I love the fact you don't need to mess with covering plus I've always been a composite guy. I got the one below custom painted for the 2009 XFC as my primary with a DA-150 on it. Unfortunately it was a total loss after a wing fell off during a practice flight. Didn't even have time to put decals on her yet... Between Chris and I we had her rocking except for the Seiko servo on the rudder which isn't the greatest thing in the world. The Seiko was sort of an experiment for future big planes' use.
169031d1240373233-c-arf-mx-2s-gto-new-cf.jpg
IMGP2318B.JPG

reyn3545

100cc
Great looking plane!

So, it looks like your 170 fit well in the cowl. I had to cut an opening in the bottom of my cowl for the carb to stick through. It just barely touched, but the choke butterfly would not open. I had a DA170 on my previous MX-2, and it fit inside the cowl just fine. I had to use shorter headers to keep them from hitting the cowl, but everything else fit very well.

For what it's worth mine has a stock 3W-170 on it. It's a rocket ship and has enough butt to haul up about 15 pounds of extra pyro gear.... When legal.... Plus another couple pounds of lighting gear.

I love the fact you don't need to mess with covering plus I've always been a composite guy. I got the one below custom painted for the 2009 XFC as my primary with a DA-150 on it. Unfortunately it was a total loss after a wing fell off during a practice flight. Didn't even have time to put decals on her yet... Between Chris and I we had her rocking except for the Seiko servo on the rudder which isn't the greatest thing in the world. The Seiko was sort of an experiment for future big planes' use.View attachment 706 View attachment 707
I even milled the piss out of that Seiko case to cool the servo better.

We had both MXs rockin, just sucks you werent around to view the carnage of the Custom bird........

Orangie is a nuclear missile with that 170 on the front!! Damn!! I thought mine was stout...

Great looking plane!

So, it looks like your 170 fit well in the cowl. I had to cut an opening in the bottom of my cowl for the carb to stick through. It just barely touched, but the choke butterfly would not open. I had a DA170 on my previous MX-2, and it fit inside the cowl just fine. I had to use shorter headers to keep them from hitting the cowl, but everything else fit very well.
The custom bird had a DA 150 in it. The bird in the background has the 170. :) I broke both those engines in well!

reyn3545

100cc
That sucks. I saw that CARF is moving their warehouse to Florida, and they've got a new website up now for US customers. I don't know what's behind the move, but they do promise to continue the excellent customer service they've always had. I guess "excellent" depends on how long you have to wait for parts.

Mine's all done and ready to go, but the weather hasn't been the best lately. Plus, my eyes have been tearing up a lot lately. I crashed my last EF 91" Extra because they teared up when I was about 20 feet off the ground in the middle of a turn... I lost reference, and decided to hit the gas and elevator and hope it went upward... it didn't. I'm taking some eye drops several times a day and it's getting better, but I'm still a little concerned about losing another plane. I'm thinking about getting some prescription sunglasses that wrap around my eyes a little better. My days of wearing contacts may have ended.