• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Rebuilding the Compy MX2.

Mikeq

150cc
We have a club member with the same tearing up problem and his is temperature related. When it cools down in the winter months he pretty much has to stop flying. I said something about goggles or wrap around glasses to him but he so far hasn't tried them..Oh by the way, your plane is beautiful..

reyn3545

100cc
I have a habit of wearing contacts for a month or more without taking them out... not the best strategy. Over the years, I've gotten minor irritations that go away if you just take them out for a week or so. Every time I've promised myself to not do that again. This past time, I developed some scar tissue on my corneas, causing the spontaneous tearing. I've been going without drops for the past month or so, and using some steroid drops to help the eyes heal up. They look & feel much better, but I still have an issue with the tearing. When the do tear up, you can't see anything clearly.

I had the cold weather/wind tearing that you mentioned for years, and like you suggested, wrap around sunglasses gave me immediate improvement. You should encourage your friend to give it a try.

I also don't have any prescription sunglasses. That would be a REAL problem for flying without contact lenses. I was driving home from Charlotte a few weeks ago, right at dusk when the sunlight hits you right in the face. I was wearing my regular glasses, no sunglasses. I topped a hill, in the fast lane, between the concrete retaining wall and an 18-wheeler in the next lane. When I topped the hill, the sun hit me and I went COMPLETELY blind for several seconds. I've been scared a few times, but never like that.

That's another issue with having cornea damage and blue eyes... very light sensitive.

I don't want to get a pair of those "over the glasses" goggles, but I do want to find a good pair of wrap around prescription glasses. They aren't cheap, but they are a lot cheaper than a plane or a car wreck.

reyn3545

100cc
I put a Vess Balance Ring on the prop... not sure it helped as much as it did with the DA170, but this motor supposedly still needs breaking in... we'll see how things go after a few gallons. Here's a before and after video.....

BEFORE

AFTER

I think the ring helped a little bit. It could need a little more effort, or maybe just a little more time on the motor.

Get quite a bit of time on that engine, Mike. From what I understand is that it has both new cylinders and pistons. Get the L needle set perfect, then work on the H. Get it reliable first and foremost. Then start the smaller tweeks on the engine settings.

reyn3545

100cc
Yep, thats the plan. I will say, it takes zero effort to start it. One flip to initialize the ignition, another easy flip to start. Every time.

I have a habit of wearing contacts for a month or more without taking them out... not the best strategy. Over the years, I've gotten minor irritations that go away if you just take them out for a week or so. Every time I've promised myself to not do that again. This past time, I developed some scar tissue on my corneas, causing the spontaneous tearing. I've been going without drops for the past month or so, and using some steroid drops to help the eyes heal up. They look & feel much better, but I still have an issue with the tearing. When the do tear up, you can't see anything clearly.

I had the cold weather/wind tearing that you mentioned for years, and like you suggested, wrap around sunglasses gave me immediate improvement. You should encourage your friend to give it a try.

I also don't have any prescription sunglasses. That would be a REAL problem for flying without contact lenses. I was driving home from Charlotte a few weeks ago, right at dusk when the sunlight hits you right in the face. I was wearing my regular glasses, no sunglasses. I topped a hill, in the fast lane, between the concrete retaining wall and an 18-wheeler in the next lane. When I topped the hill, the sun hit me and I went COMPLETELY blind for several seconds. I've been scared a few times, but never like that.

That's another issue with having cornea damage and blue eyes... very light sensitive.

I don't want to get a pair of those "over the glasses" goggles, but I do want to find a good pair of wrap around prescription glasses. They aren't cheap, but they are a lot cheaper than a plane or a car wreck.

Try Zurichs for flying.

I wore a pair for many years, and then a pair of Uvex colored safety glasses, all over my regular glasses. Now Im older (HA) and are paying my own bills and so forth, I went out and got a real nice pair of prescription sunglasses. Big deal, take 2 pair of glasses with you to go flying. Helps for those days when you have the sun in your face on that long drive home from flying. I just dont use my prescription sunglasses only for flying. I wear them about everyday Im outside. I have really light sensitive eyes. So, the darker the lens, the better for me. :)

reyn3545

100cc
OK! The prescription glasses showed up today. It took just over a week, not bad. I went with Maui Jim's, rose colored, with polarized lenses that are supposed to block out 90% of the sunlight. Just walking outside, they seem to work great. I plan to go to the field tomorrow, fly my foamy glider for a battery or 2, just to see if my eyes tear up again or not. I've been putting steroid drops in them for several weeks now, they look and feel much better. Wish me luck!

reyn3545

100cc
Thanks.. I'm not too concerned about the plane or my thumbs... but my eyes scare the schidt out of me! Last time, as fast as blinking my eyes, I went from casually flying my plane to having zero orientation. After a few more blinks, it wasn't getting any better, so I had to do something, it just turned out to be wrong. I don't think that's going to happen, so I feel pretty good about it, but I'll dust the foamy glider off for a few check flights, just in case.