• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Thanks guys.
Pretty much used all the metal working tooling in the shop, metal cutting band saw, arc welder, acetylene torch, lathe, mill, files and die grinder, finally yesterday when I went to shop where I borrow the use of the glass bead blaster the own said "you're in trouble, I have Black Beauty in the cabinet" and I replied that's wonderful I want this look like a casting anyway, what luck!

TonyHallo

150cc
While working on the tailwheel decided to replace the spring as well. The original was made from the plans however the spring was too stiff, no spring action at all. The original springs were made from 3/32" thick 1095 steel, the new spring will be 1/16" thick 1095. The spring will need heat treated after forming and drilling as it is received in the annealed state.

IMG_3145.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Hardened the leaves with the acetylene torch, heat up to cherry red then quench in water, then temper the leaves to 500F in the kitchen oven for 2 hours. The leaves came out nice and blue. The original had four leaves, one was eliminated and the spring action seems good.
Started looking around in the cabin area and discovered the IBEC unplugged, now I remember that the IBEC was causing the missing problem. When to the TechAero web page and found that they have no stock, hopefully the stock will replenish next week.

IMG_3147.jpg
IMG_3148.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
The SS streamline tube arrived from Toni Clark, took about two weeks from Germany. It is slightly larger than the K&S aluminum tube. The aluminum tubes bend very easy, the tube on the bottom has a crease in it. Got enough tube to replace the jury struts on the Super Cub as well. I like it!

IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3150.jpg

Tony, a little off the current subject, but how did you cement your rudder cable exit fairings to the fabric. Ekobond? Since I'm not using a fabric glue would CA work?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hardened the leaves with the acetylene torch, heat up to cherry red then quench in water, then temper the leaves to 500F in the kitchen oven for 2 hours. The leaves came out nice and blue. The original had four leaves, one was eliminated and the spring action seems good.
Started looking around in the cabin area and discovered the IBEC unplugged, now I remember that the IBEC was causing the missing problem. When to the TechAero web page and found that they have no stock, hopefully the stock will replenish next week.

View attachment 122400View attachment 122401
AJ aircraft makes a IBec it is the same unit but with some extra features. The same company makes them. If I need a new one I will try the one from AJ.

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
NO I would not use CA. Are you going to cover the exit with fabric? Do you need to fill the weave on the product you are using? I would use a flexible glue or canopy cement.