• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Once the left aileron was mounted I noticed that the ribs did not align with the wing ribs, I was considering starting over. I had already laid out the fuselage plans on the bench and was making up a material list for the rest of the build. I also found the book by Paul Matt and purchased it for reference. The there view shows the aileron ribs are angled rather than straight as show on the plans. More reason to start over.
IMG_2280.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
A different approach was used to build the right aileron. A spine was made from 1/8" lit ply and lighted with 2" holes. This removed almost half the weight. The 1/4" dowel trailing was glued on. The bottom side received 1/16" plywood to simulate the ribs while the top side were made from 1/4" balsa. I'm pleased with result and the redesigned aileron only weights 1 gram more than the original. I also noticed the ribs for the stab do not match the three view. I plan to use the same approach when building the stab.
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG

Last edited:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm curious about Roto's. Much cheaper than Valachs and Kolms. But you get what you pay for.

TonyHallo

150cc
I'm curious about Roto's. Much cheaper than Valachs and Kolms. But you get what you pay for.
The Valach and Roto 85 are not much different in price, maybe $200, the Kolms are much larger displacement. I have no idea what the actual cost is since you are responsible for the tariff tax. I seen the Roto 170 on Ebay for $2400 but in the fine print it stated you are responsible for the import tax, this was coming from Poland. Might be 25%, don't know?

TonyHallo

150cc
Thanks Randy, can't wait until it warms up for good. The Indiana Flyer Club is having a fun fly on June 22, hope you can join us.

TonyHallo

150cc
3/4 of tubing arrived yesterday from Georgia, the last piece of 5/8" tube is due on Tuesday from California. The 1/2" tubes are cut to length and one of the lower forks is made and pinned to 1/2" tube. The upper trunnion will get silver solder to the outer 5/8" tube, it is drilled and tapped for 4-40. To assemble the strut, the lower fork is removed, spring inserted into outer tube, then 1/2" inner tube, a 4-40 control rod with a stop silver soldered is insert through the 1/2" tube and tighten. The fork is held in place with a 1/8" split pin.
Different springs were found at an old time hardware store, they do match the drawing better. Their selection was much better than the local Ace. It will be sad when all the old time hardware stores are gone. Need to come up with a way to bend the 3/8" x .065 tube for the trailing rods. Not sure if heat will be used or not.
IMG_2289.JPG