• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Yes the retirement is working out great, I put a shift in today on the build. I did spend a few hours on the snowblower however, it hasn't ran in several years so I had to give the fuel tank a Drano treatment followed by a Muratic acid bath. Hopefully it will run tomorrow. Snow coming on Saturday.

TonyHallo

150cc
Up to this point I've been trying to keep both wing halves at the same completion level, I just realized we have a club meeting on Monday evening and hope to take one wing to the meeting for "show and tell."
I'm working on the left now, I installed the top leading edge sheeting, I got the sheeting from National balsa, I didn't order any extra and the 1/8" sheets they sent were a little stiffer than i would like. The stiffest sheets are going on the bottom since the bend is less. For the top, Titebond II was applied and the sheet was weighted onto main spar. Ammonia was used to bend the sheet and pin it to the 1/4" balsa leading edge. There's about 60 pounds of weight keeping the wing straight and the sheeting in place.
IMG_2267.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
After the top sheeting was dry, the wing was flipped over and the strut and jury strut fittings were installed. Then the bottom sheeting was installed in the same manner, weights were used on the main spar and leading edge. ammonia was used as well. The comment i made about National Balsa was not negative just stating what I received. They only cut the wood and do a great job, I will use them again in the future.
IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Saw that you started a build thread over there, thanks, great looking project you've got going, looking forward to seeing it done!

TonyHallo

150cc
Took the left wing out tonight to my club meeting, kind of odd this old right winger taking out a left wing, but hay I married a left winger 44 years ago and we're still going strong. One of the club members ask how much does the wing weight? Didn't know so when I got home I checked and left wing less Aileron weights 2 lb 14 oz. I good with that. I got the left aileron about built and hope the right wing chances up!

TonyHallo

150cc
The left aileron is done, took longer than expected. Rather than set up the router table again, the ribs were pre-drilled for the trailing edge dowel then cut out. A 1/4" rod was inserted into the drilled hole, then the cut lines were laid out. The left wing is basically complete, still need to decide on what servo will be used, thinking Hitec D series.
IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG