• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Radio Wars, Part 2

Brill

30cc
If I had to choose which radio fit my hands better, then my DX8 is more comfortable. The back pads on the DX18QQ are short and flat, on the DX8 they are tall and round.

Maybe someone will make aftermarket grips for the DX18QQ!

brill

wedoitall

My buddy got one of those. Very, very nice transmitter!

It doesn't fit in my hands very well though(i have small hands and pinch the sticks)but it works great for my friend(bigger hands and flies thumbs)

I have small hands too. why I was looking at switching radios. does your hitec fit your hands pretty good?

My dx8 wouldn't be bad if it didn't have the rubber grips . i started flying without a neck strap, so it makes it even worse. Sometimes when im doing rolling harriers after i get about 6-7 rolls into it, where my fingers are short, i loose good grip on the sticks and have to play catch up.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I have smaller hands and have held my Dad's (Willfly2) DX8 for setup and a few flights, I also owned a JR 9503x and compared to my new Futaba 8FGS they were both too bulky (for me). I kept slipping on the sticks, after the switch I feel totally in control. This in addition to the programmable features... I'm not having any regrets!

Last edited by a moderator:

hone

150cc
I haven't had any issues with the size of my A9. I went from a DX6i to the A9. compare radio.jpg

I did hear that people used to have issues with the A9 and not being able to reach from one corner to the other with the sticks but i believe they shortened the stick length since then.
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the A9X :bouncy:

The best thing to do is get your hands on as many radios as you can and see which one fits YOU best.

wedoitall

I have smaller hands and have held my Dad's (Willfly2) DX8 for setup and a few flights, I also owned a JR 9503x and compared to my new Futaba 8FGS they were both too bulky (for me). I kept slipping on the sticks, after the switch I feel totally in control. This in addition to the programmable features... I'm not having any regrets!

that's the same problem im having sometimes. its the thickness of the case itself.
I haven't had any issues with the size of my A9. I went from a DX6i to the A9. View attachment 7997

I did hear that people used to have issues with the A9 and not being able to reach from one corner to the other with the sticks but i believe they shortened the stick length since then.
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the A9X :bouncy:
The best thing to do is get your hands on as many radios as you can and see which one fits YOU best.

see I was having problems reaching corners with short sticks but when I made them longer that fixed it, but caused the problem with me slipping on the stick, being too long with my short fingers hard to hold case. I was using a tray with no problems, but I gave that to my buddy, soooooo..........LOL if I don't find something soon may be buying a tray again, but I don't wanna go that route unless I have to. But I need to figure out something, I just started getting my rolling harriers straight when I want them to go straight and circle when I want them to circle. Most of the time :D

I would already jumped on the 8fg but it doesn't have telemetry. and the 14sg is just a tad bit out of my price range atm. after using telemetry I gotta have it from here on out.

I don't suppose theres some kinda 3rd party telemetry solution is there?

Not to leave out Airtronics and the SD-10G...this is an awesome radio and super dependable.

I found out this week they are on sale at hobbypeople.net (the primary Airtronics distributor in the US):

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.ph...0-ch-2-4g-computer-radio-w-7-ch-rx700-rx.html

This is quite a deal: $299 for a top notch 2.4ghz radio and 7ch RX!

9 Point throttle Curve and Throttle Hold in Airplane mode! I bet the SD-10 was even available when I bought my Derp-derp DX-7.

don't get me wrong, I love my Spektrum, but dad-gum. I fly my Edge in Heli-mode so I can have a throttle curve and put the THold on my AUX 2 switch.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
9 Point throttle Curve and Throttle Hold in Airplane mode! I bet the SD-10 was even available when I bought my Derp-derp DX-7.

don't get me wrong, I love my Spektrum, but dad-gum. I fly my Edge in Heli-mode so I can have a throttle curve and put the THold on my AUX 2 switch.

You can program a throttle hold on the DX7 using a throttle to throttle mix with the mix values and offset all set to -100%

FWIW The DX8 has multi point throttle curves (2 off switchable) and throttle hold in fixed wing mode

gyro

GSN Contributor
You can program a throttle hold on the DX7 using a throttle to throttle mix with the mix values and offset all set to -100%

FWIW The DX8 has multi point throttle curves (2 off switchable) and throttle hold in fixed wing mode

Yeppers, i have a 5-pt throttle curve on all my gassers in my dx8

Hi Steve,
I got the Thro-Thro hack from Doc Austin on another thread. I couldn't assign it to anything other than my Gear or 3 pos. switch. Also, I like arming the ESC in Throttle hold. Using the mix, the output would go to a negative value unless the stick was bottomed out. Not really problems per se, but they're not exactly the kinds of things that have inspired ardent brand loyalty on my part either.
It's performed flawlessly in getting me started in the hobby (my club is 98% Spek), but I think it may be time to try something new.
I will say, for my limited needs and indeed limited flying talent, I don't have much desire to switch for more than $300-$350

edit:
I just remembered why I want to be able to assign my TH hold. Simply put, I accidentally flipped the GEAR while changing to low rates in preparation for a landing ie while flying slow and low to the ground. I luckily recognized the situation immediately and quickly switched the throttle back on and went around just to be safe.

I got my Airtronics SD-10G. Still haven't had the chance to fly it, but some interesting items (some of which are available from other radios I'm sure) include:
I have the Ail servos assigned to the 1 and 8 ports on my receiver to my plugging and unplugging them easier for travel.
It has a 3 Pos. Momentary switch- use it as a +/- toggle switch or maybe a momentary Flaperon/Spoileron switch?
All 5 flight modes have programmable Delay.
So long as you're using FHSS-3 receivers, you assign your receiver a "Safetly Link Number" as part of the Bind procedure. The manual says you must match the safety link number with the actual model number. According to the manual, you have the ability to assign the same safety link number to two different receivers to be used in the same aircraft for redundancy.
Every mix and throttle curve gets 9 points. I don't know why you need 9 points, but they're there.
Each item in the switch Assign menu has room for two different switches with either and "and" or "or" setting. My throttle timer Starts when my throttle is above a set point and my throttle hold is OFF. The timer turns off when My throttle goes below a programmed position or my throttle hold is ON. The throttle positions are programmed using one of 5 available "Stick Switches" (I guess there are 5 of everything on this thing to match the 5 available flight modes, custom mixes, Channel delays etc.)
First thing I did was INH the "Click". No beep-beep-beep with each and every press of every button thank you very much.
You have to check and double check your programming. 3 flight modes are automatically available and 3 EL/AIL/RUD rates are available within each flight mode. I generally only need three common rates, so I disable the all the DR switch positions 2 and 3 in the switch assign menu.