• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC owners thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well 2016 is going to be the year of the "Pilot" for me. Should have the 107" inch edge by the end of February:fist_pump:.

Game plan is gut the EF 104 and install the DA 120 and cans in to the Edge. Purchase 5 of the new Blue Bird BLS H50B servos and
And run a stream lined 6 servo 1 battery set up as I did in the 330sc. Really like the GBS thrush scheme but "purple" needs a big brother :).
Well it's about time. You are going to love the 107 incher. When you say you are going to do six servos, is this including the throttle? Reason I ask is I ran as you know, seven on mine. Throttle, two aileron, two elevator, two rudder. I am glad I did. For the extra 2 ounces in the tail, you will want it. I moved everything farther back in the Edge and made it a bit tail heavy. The nice thing about this airframe is this. Light...27 lbs. It likes a little tail heavy for some of those really messed up maneuvers we all do. LOL. It lands like a freaking trainer. There just is not anything this plane can not do. Plus, two rudder servos will give that rudder some massive authority. Just a suggestion. Just really glad you "UP'ed" your game to PILOT!!!!:way_to_go:

OK! My assembly time to beat is 8 months......When was NALL???......Your 7 months in already Bart.....:spongebob:

And if Rob chimes in all I got to say is I also built my B-I-L's Pilot 330sc in one week (which is a world record for me!):laughing:
OK! My assembly time to beat is 8 months......When was NALL???......Your 7 months in already Bart.....:spongebob:

And if Rob chimes in all I got to say is I also built my B-I-L's Pilot 330sc in one week (which is a world record for me!):laughing:
Yep. When I got it at nall was planning on a fall/winter project but funds have been a little short so just getting around to making the credit card blow up.:LOL_gif::first_place:

It's a DA50 with KS can. The servos are HiTec 7955's on the tail surfaces and JR 8411's on the ailerons. I'm using Duralite 2500mah A123's, and a JR921x receiver. The graphics are from B&E.

It's been my main go to airplane since the beginning of 2013. The green scheme has been a huge hit at my field.
Thanks for the info. Trying to put this bird together in the most economical but not cheap way if you know what I mean. ;)

Well 2016 is going to be the year of the "Pilot" for me. Should have the 107" inch edge by the end of February:fist_pump:.

Game plan is gut the EF 104 and install the DA 120 and cans in to the Edge. Purchase 5 of the new Blue Bird BLS H50B servos and
And run a stream lined 6 servo 1 battery set up as I did in the 330sc. Really like the GBS thrush scheme but "purple" needs a big brother :).
Hope to leave nall 2016 with a purple 37center if as John Wayne used to say "good lord willing and the water doesn't rise".

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it's about time. You are going to love the 107 incher. When you say you are going to do six servos, is this including the throttle? Reason I ask is I ran as you know, seven on mine. Throttle, two aileron, two elevator, two rudder. I am glad I did. For the extra 2 ounces in the tail, you will want it. I moved everything farther back in the Edge and made it a bit tail heavy. The nice thing about this airframe is this. Light...27 lbs. It likes a little tail heavy for some of those really messed up maneuvers we all do. LOL. It lands like a freaking trainer. There just is not anything this plane can not do. Plus, two rudder servos will give that rudder some massive authority. Just a suggestion. Just really glad you "UP'ed" your game to PILOT!!!!:way_to_go:
If I'm reading this right, your using one servo per aileron on the 107"?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@Jetpainter I believe he is. The 107 has a middle servo bay for single servo aileron. Rob single pull pull set up on mine with the cans going in. These new BLS H50B's are no push overs. One on rudder should be fine.Going to check em' out!

50B50C.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The reason I asked was my buddies 107" Pilot Extra 330sc in the picture has a single JR 8711 in each wing and when you pick up the speed the rolls get really sluggish. At low speeds it great. I like to make high speed knife edge passes and do a series of fast single rolls from knife edge, pausing back at knife edge for a sec between each full roll. I can't do it with his airplane. It just won't roll crisp when it's going very fast.

I would have thought an 8711 on 6.6 volts would have enough torque, but his just doesn't seem to cut it.

20130526_124540_resized_3.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The reason I asked was my buddies 107" Pilot Extra 330sc in the picture has a single JR 8711 in each wing and when you pick up the speed the rolls get really sluggish. At low speeds it great. I like to make high speed knife edge passes and do a series of fast single rolls from knife edge, pausing back at knife edge for a sec between each full roll. I can't do it with his airplane. It just won't roll crisp when it's going very fast.

I would have thought an 8711 on 6.6 volts would have enough torque, but his just doesn't seem to cut it.

View attachment 46695

Thanks for the input and I also have considered about the aileron itself wanting to flex. But!! I just got to try me some of these new servos. I think they will get the job done nicely and beat out an 8711 but the proof is waiting us so I will be the Test Dummy:attaboy:.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh my...what a maroon am I!! Someone tell my boss I can't work outta town any longer. Starting to lose my ability to think. Negative on the single aileron servo configuration. Two per aileron, one per elevator half, two rudder, one gas pedal. Total of 9. I didn't want to take a chance with sluggishness, so I opted for the more robust set up.
@Jetpainter I believe he is. The 107 has a middle servo bay for single servo aileron. Rob single pull pull set up on mine with the cans going in. These new BLS H50B's are no push overs. One on rudder should be fine.Going to check em' out!

View attachment 46690
I would think the 737 ounces would be good. But after using a 4" double offset...or even a 5", I would be concerned about too much loss of torque at the rudder. Along with the added weight for a tail heavy setup, I wanted the most available torque for the money. I would love to get my hands on some of those servo's. I'm game for a little test action myself.
:spongebob:

:LOL_gif:One week must be some type of record! Me. I'm slow as molassis assembling birds but I heard from @emtp275 and @ChickenBalls that there birds went together quickly. We'll see. First I need to get the "innards" and that won't be until after Christmas/new years.:ugh!: