• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pilot RC 32% Decathlon

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Had just enough time last night to wrap up the decathlon and get a quick test run. The DLE85 is so smoooooth on the proflow canister!!!! I had to lean the low end just about 1/8 turn to get the low end to like the can but then it really was happy.

Finished weight is basically 27lb. and a couple ounces with the DLE, header and large canister. So with a DLE55 / DA60 it probably would come out at 24lb. and change. With such a large wingspan though I really think the 85 is the way to go. I did have to cut a hole in the side of the cowl for the header but not that big of a deal.

The wing panels are 59" each and the struts stick out beyond that so even a 40% plane wing bag is not quite large enough. I drew up a holder in about 5 minutes and had @thelaw cut it out for me on the CNC. Couple more sticks and a little foam and less than 30 minutes later I have a wing cradle!! I put some foam donuts on the ends so the wing tube is held snug in place but also serves as a handle for the cradle. Worked out pretty darn good!!! I gooped a box from one of the servos to the inside of the cradle to hold wing bolts and spare hardware for installing the struts at the field.

image001.jpg
image007.jpg

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 345
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 370
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 411
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 394
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 385

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks great, I expect to see a maiden video soon. ;)

The header cutout in the cowl is a small price to pay for power!

Oh, and I love the wing cradle too!

One question Terry, why hasn't this flown yet? I mean, Nall was how long ago? lol Oh crap, that was two. Looks really good.

Like the cradle. Do the struts lock down and stay in place, or can you bolt those together so they aren't banging around. Sum Beach, that is another one.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
One question Terry, why hasn't this flown yet? I mean, Nall was how long ago? lol Oh crap, that was two. Looks really good.

Like the cradle. Do the struts lock down and stay in place, or can you bolt those together so they aren't banging around. Sum Beach, that is another one.

I put a piece of foam between the struts and a velcro strap around them. No banging around. Weather sux otherwise we would be flying. Maybe tomorrow if things work out.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Very Nice. I did not realize the bend radius was that much but you did an excellent job for the cut out. You said you did run it. How did that exhaust tone work out?

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
hey nice ship.

that windshield is yelling "tint me"!

hey at least its ready to go. cub has engine mounted, floats are built but i need to tactfully reinforce for the aft float strut attachments. i dont want to add unnecessary weight. oh and it might acrually get a chock servo... i know how unconventional , but handy in the water!

hopefully done planting this week, so expect a familiar face in the door soon.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Exhaust tone at idle is deep and smooth. Extremely quiet. It has a little bark at full throttle. I picked up a Falcon 26x10 at Joe Nall. TSA was a little confused but luckily let me carry it on For the flight home.

I did end up cutting the DLE170 header and adding a section of 1.5" ID teflon about 2" long to extend the middle of the header by 1.5" or so. It actually got me to a header length that @Planebender recommended for the gp88. It worked for the dle as well. Hope to get some video tomorrow.