• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Perfered RX from Spectrum

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Well one thing I think stands out...The cortex comes ready to go...No setup really needed out of box, but can fine tune it or whatever you want. The rest you are probably right. I keep hearing the cortex is pretty invisible and you don't know it's there until you turn it off. Vbar takes some setting up, but I know when its setup and running it is absolutely great...at least on heli's as that is the only experience I have with it.

Believe it or not the vbar actually is setup out of the box as well really. The only setting up you need to do and that I did in the video, is in the radio make sure your control surfaces are all going the correct way. The gains are already preset, however I talked in the video a little about adjusting them to your liking and of course the endpoints which are personal as well. So, even though I haven't set up a Cortex, I have to believe that you still need to make sure the controls are going the correct way at a minimum as well with your radio. In fact I'd bet the setup is very similar as well as the tuning but with the advantage of the vbar having its own radio, it should be much faster. I know that when I set up a basic Spektrum say 6210 receiver, it takes me longer using my DX9 to do that than with the vbar. This is because the menus in the radio take more time to navigate. Think about when you set up that new plane, you have to check the controls are going the correct direction, you have to adjust the endpoints so there is no binding and or max throws, then you have to adjust the subtrims. All of these small adjustments which we do on most every setup take time and are on different menu screens. With the Vbar they are all on one screen per each control surface making it much faster and this is one of the huge benefits of the radio. I'm really hoping other systems in the future adopt some of these ideas, because the one thing I do not like about the vbar radio is being tied to it and not really being able to use it on smaller stuff dur to cost restraints.
In regards to the cortex, a good comparison would be to really spend time with both and fly the heck out of them side by side. I would like to try a Cortex for sure, but they are priced out of my range for my needs. While the vbar setup is pricey too and probably more so at least up front, I mainly use it with my helicopters which is something I wouldn't be able to do with the cortex. Unfortunately for the vbar radio, it's only a wise purchase for folks who really fly both and don't mind sticking with the vbar brand. Hopefully down the road they will either adapt to work with other systems or other systems will adopt some of their technology.
Oh and some of those turbine jets doing 3d are amazing and I believe a lot of them are using the cortex. Bavarian Demon, the company of the Cortex also has what I hear to be a nice helicopter flybarless unit as well. Nice to have all these great choices...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the plane in my truck, and I am hoping to swing by the field and test it out after I drop my daughter off from school. I am nursing a pretty bad ankle injury and am supposed to stay off it and on crutches, but I just can stand wondering what it flies like. Some rules need to be bent....my wife will be pissed at me if she finds out....

SnowDog

I have the plane in my truck, and I am hoping to swing by the field and test it out after I drop my daughter off from school. I am nursing a pretty bad ankle injury and am supposed to stay off it and on crutches, but I just can stand wondering what it flies like. Some rules need to be bent....my wife will be pissed at me if she finds out....

one of my flying buddies brings a lawn chair to the flight line LOL (of course, he was flying a SIG Seniorita with a four stroke motor that would fly for over an hour at idle speed)...he flew it like a glider, really. :)

there's gotta be a way you can fly sitting down! or on crutches? :)

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Oh man this is some good stuff right here. Way too funny. SnowDog is right though, gotta be a way. The chair thing is a good idea and or depending on where you fly and if you have a truck or not, you could just sit on the tailgate.

That's funny, because that's exactly what I did. There are a bunch of chairs at the field, and I try to sit in one everytime I fly, be it helis, 3d, my scale stuff, foamies or gliders.....and I am under 40yo so it's not that I can't stand, but why not just relax when you are flying.....PS. I posted my results from todays flight over on RCG. Absolutely amazing experience. I was blown away....

Those results over there aren't helping us here! ;)
Very true, but I started a large thread over there and I could do the same here but I hate to fill up the whole Internet! ;) I can repost the link if that helps. I definitely think it's a fun topic, I know I'm having a hell of a time with it....