• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Perfered RX from Spectrum

I agree on all accounts. You got some nice helis, the Aligns are great because they are affordable and parts are everywhere and they fly great. I've had all the higher end stuff too and they are nice, but also like big planks, the more money in the air, the harder for me to relax and really enjoy the flying. I have a Logo and a Diabolo and I love them, and won't be parting with them. Right now I have the plane bug big time. Over the years I've gone back and forth each time selling one to fund the other, now I'm starting to hang onto a couple of each as I know I'll eventually go back. I really enjoy flying both and each helps me with the other as I learn new things.

I just started a thread on RCG regarding the vbar, gonna install one today and try video my setup and hopefully fly in a day or two

Kind of back to your original post and sorry if I derailed it a bit, but I have tried and used quite a few different spektrum receivers since Spektrum started. In the beginning there were a couple small park flyer receivers I had issues with but for the most part you probably won't see a difference at all between the receivers. There has been an increase in speed between the systems over the years but that usually entails a new radio and receiver and most folks seemed to find the increase in speed hard to notice, especially with a ton of expo which isn't the same but can affect the feeling of speed. About 2 years ago I switches over to a Futaba 14sg and my stuff (planes and helis) felt slightly more locked in. I preferred the feel and setup of Futaba over Spektrum, but 2 months ago I tried the Vbar control radio and sold my 14sg 2 days later. It felt even more so locked in, and the programming is in a league of its own. At the same time I got a DX9 as the Vplane software wasn't out yet and I wanted to fly some of the bind and fly stuff and set up wireless buddy boxing with my kids. The DX9 is great and I use it all the time when I fly. It does take 10x longer to set up a plane with the dx9 though compared to the vbar from what I can tell thus far. Now back to receivers, over the last 2 months I've been using both Spektrum AR636, AR6210(even the fake ones), and the lemon receivers. I can't tell the difference at all between them as receivers (with the stab turned off on the Ar636). I even have been flying a 10 channel lemon in my EF 78" extra electric with the same results as the Spektrum before. The Lemon 10ch cost me $26. Once I get this vbar setup and flying and figure out which planes I will out one in, most likely all my other planes will be keeping what they have and any new ones would be getting a Lemon Rx. Sorry for the ramble, hopefully there is some piece of info in there you can use! Keep flying. . Jake

Cool man let me know how it goes and post up a link to the video will ya?
Will do, once I figure out how to edit it, might take a year. I suck with video.

Oh and I'll add that normally I spend the extra dollar for quality and piece of mind, I don't normally cut corners or try to use cheap electronics but after tons of reading I have yet to read much of anything bad about the Lemon receiver, and it appears to be sturdy and works great for me. There is only one other cheap electronic I have been using for a few years with the same trust and faith and that's an esc but that's for another thread. When it comes to servos, while I own and fly Futaba and read great things out there about a bunch of brands, I really only use Hitec and JR because their service is second to none when it comes to repairs. That's also a big reason why I switched back to the Spektrum, I've never been a fan of the other companie's customer service. Had a few of the same issues with both companies, one was great and sent out replacements immediately, the other charged me 75% of the new price to re-buy the same product that failed a month after I got it, either way that's not for here. Spektrum receivers are great, pick the one with the size, range, and cost that fits your needs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Nicely done Jake. I will keep my eyes and ears on this stuff for sure. Man if you could get your hands on a Cortex and did a review between the two units, that would be nice. Only you would have to be able to do it honestly and objectively. Would you be able to do that? Be open minded enough to do it...LOL...

Ha, yeah. I have no brand loyalty and I do understand spending a lot of money on something and wanting it to be the best thing out there which I think we are all guilty of. However I try to just call it like I see it. In regards to the Cortex, I haven't put that much effort into reading about it, but I hear nothing but great things. I have a hunch though it would be an apples and oranges comparison as far as setup and tuning since the Vbar has its own dedicated radio. Comparing the way they fly though should be even, and I would venture to say that they would probably be fairly close in performance with a few pros and cons for each. Unfortunately I don't see myself getting my hands on a Cortex an time soon.