• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I have never flown an extra. Maybe you guys that have owned edges and extras can tell us the difference in flying characteristics? To me it looks like the extras land a little hotter but track better at higher speeds. Like I said, I have never flown one so I can only go by videos.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have never flown an extra. Maybe you guys that have owned edges and extras can tell us the difference in flying characteristics? To me it looks like the extras land a little hotter but track better at higher speeds. Like I said, I have never flown one so I can only go by videos.

Landing speed has little to do with it unless it's pilot choice or a small / poorly designed airfoil or wings.

The wing shape of the Edge lends itself to stability, slow speed and post stall stability especially. As I always say that has proven true in my redneck airplane design theories....to gain something, you have to take away something. For Edges it is precision. The MAC in relation to gravity changes as the airplane rolls, so if you do a long slow roll with an edge if you you have to give it extra rudder correction to keep it from sinking when it goes towards KE. Where an extra has the swept leading edge and the MAC remains more constant and so it does not do this "bob". During "rolling harriers" this is not really evident because the wing is no longer flying.

Edge's are also shorter and excel in tumbling, where an extra may take a little more effort to to super tight tumbles (I use spoilerons to accelerate the tumbles). I won't give away all my secrets but a good example of a mix between these is the Viper. I like edges just like you, but I also want to fly clean lines in an IMAC style precision. I did a variety of things to the wings to allow this, again, won't give out my secrets;).

Another difference with the Extra wing is it's ability to snap more crisply. This also gives better 3D flight in certain maneuvers as well as IMAC flying, etc.

You may also find that some extras and other planes are purpose built for IMAC and are a little longer in the fuse, this works together with the wing shape to provide an even cleaner line but further detracts from post stall flight envelope.

Attached is a picture that illustrates the center of chord on which the MAC and CG are determined. If you visualize the plane rolling the wingspan shrinks in relation to gravity and changes the MAC location (in relation to gravity). I've done some reading on it, and I don't fully understand how all the mumbo jumbo works but it plays a roll on ability to maintain a horizontal line in a roll.

wing comparo.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, What are the updates on the DA120's. I never new there were any.

Minor stuff. The new ones come with 1-1/2 reeds just like the 70. I don't know what all else, they just said updates. I know it got new pistons but not new rings so I don't know if that was related to an update or not.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I think they changed the reeds to add reinforcement and changed the front carb cover a little. Some older updates are what appears to be a different type gasket for the jugs and a different material for the bolts on the jugs (can't remember the specifics)...thats all I know of.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, will the new Viper have a pipe tunnel?

YES, all PAU planes have space for pipes and cans. It is not a fully enclosed tunnel because that adds additional weight and is not required. If you like to fully enclose it, it can be done with 1/16" balsa or even creative foam.