• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

Yeah Capt...I am very happy now that I have got this one side almost ready to paint. Installed mounting plates and blind nuts in bottom half of cowling, also installed the cap on the rear former and it is ready to have 1/8" foam glued to seal the gap between former and top half of cowl.

I am sort of glad it is winter and I am in no rush to finish...as I started on the left side baffle last night and just didn't have it in me...so came up from the basement and watched TV with Jenni! LOL...Maybe tonight? Maybe this weekend! :)

Baffle11_zps1dad774c.jpg

Baffle12_zps92f2d2ce.jpg

Baffle14_zps5ce8ce24.jpg

Baffle13_zps38ae54af.jpg

Baffle15_zpsd13c2306.jpg

Baffle9_zpscae8c15a.jpg

Baffle10_zps85c704b3.jpg

Last edited:
While I am here...has anyone had any issues with this Krylon Brand being used for Motor Box sealing and Paint? Gas Proof? I have always just used thinned down finishing resin...but have seen a lot of people paint the motor box area with textured paint and liked the look...

IMG_0714_zpsc2e24ae5.jpg

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
While I am here...has anyone had any issues with this Krylon Brand being used for Motor Box sealing and Paint? Gas Proof? I have always just used thinned down finishing resin...but have seen a lot of people paint the motor box area with textured paint and liked the look...

IMG_0714_zpsc2e24ae5.jpg

I always say I'm going to do that when I put a plane together but then I get too impatient and usually end up saying screw it.

The plane is looking good, will this be making the trip down to apache pass this year :)

Greg

Where will the baffles allow exit air? They look like everything above them, including 1/2 or more of the cylinders, will have nowhere for the air to exit.

BJ Swope

BJ, As any other cowl, the bottom has an opening...the nice thing about Herve's cowls...he puts a lip where the opening will be...this causes a venturi effect and causes the bottom of the cowl to be a low pressure area and of course the air ramming into the upper sealed portion of the cowl is high pressure. This causes the low pressure bottom cowl to suck the high pressure air through the cooling fins of the cylinders...the air is moving through the fins at quite a fast rate and pulls the heat from the fins as it passes...

IMG_0532_zpsb7dc6757.jpg

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2

Greg, I've used the Rustoleum brand and it is held up very good to fuel and three years of use. I like the look it gives the motor box.

Painted Engine Box.jpg

BJ, As any other cowl, the bottom has an opening...the nice thing about Herve's cowls...he puts a lip where the opening will be...this causes a venturi effect and causes the bottom of the cowl to be a low pressure area and of course the air ramming into the upper sealed portion of the cowl is high pressure. This causes the low pressure bottom cowl to suck the high pressure air through the cooling fins of the cylinders...the air is moving through the fins at quite a fast rate and pulls the heat from the fins as it passes...

Ahhhh. The fuse was inverted in the first pics so we were looking at the bottom of the motor not the top!

Exits in the bottom of the cowl are standard and I understand.

BJ Swope

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
Here's some pics of my first attempt at DA 200 Baffling. It's for a friends new Pau Edge. I used 1/8 ply and covered with Carbon Fiber sheeting. The scoop is From Henry Piorun, which still needs to be painted. View attachment 8861
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG

Really like the scoop...that may half to get worked in, I have a friend close by that is a past Topgun winner that I may have to get with to do one up. I really stink at making anything fiberglass!