• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

Finally started on my 42% Extra...tackled modifying the motor box to accept a DLE222 4 cylinder today. Was all excited that the motor box was already set up to correctly mount a DA200. Well...the DLE222 is longer than the DA200, so needed to hack off another 3/4" and notch out the motor box to accept the included spare firewall.

Think it turned out pretty well, I used 1/2" square basswood to strengthen the firewall instead of the 2 pieces of included balsa triangle stock, I also pinned all fours sides with 1/8" hardwood dowel for extra piece of mind. I am also very happy with the motor alignment, the laser etching on the firewall was almost perfect and only needed a little massaging to get motor aligned with the cowl.

I Guess the fun starts now...next is working on the baffling, going to use Herve's templates he posted on the FG Thread and then modify for the DLE222. Have a friend with a CNC Router so think I am going to have the finished baffles made from either CF or G10.

372986ec3dfe87a0b7e8661eb194fb0c_zps49e9084a.jpg

4241c55779e346ccaba3045d7b3b772f_zps7ad7c39c.jpg

99ae26a7962bda15e4f4364c8aceb914_zpsd28c516b.jpg

9470b3d28518ad2b14280c6cf5a73834_zps9872e347.jpg
54a4c480a711eb7a0982ef14ccaf4a83_zpsdfc5d9a7.jpg

Last edited:

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
Looks great.
Both of mine pull hard left on up lines also.
I mixed in rudder to throttle, but it took a lot to make it fly straight.
I added weight to the right wing tip and this helped a lot.
Wings still stay level pulling from a dive, even with the weight on the right wing tip.

Thanks, I put a 1/16 thick washer under each bolt on the left side and it was all it needed. Uplines still aren't IMAC perfect, but none of my planes are. It is good enough that I'm happy with it now, it'll probably go 200' before it starts drifting left with no mixes or trim. Now, if I wouldn't have slapped the gear on the ground when I was trying to save an extremely too low knife edge pass, I would be wringing her our tomorrow. Herve is supposed to get a set out to me on Monday. I guess the broken gear is better than if I wouldn't have gotten it flattened out and caught a wingtip. That would have got ugly quick!

This plane is really impressive and I'm enjoying it more every flight!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finally started on my 42% Extra...tackled modifying the motor box to accept a DLE222 4 cylinder today. Was all excited that the motor box was already set up to correctly mount a DA200. Well...the DLE222 is longer than the DA200, so needed to hack off another 3/4" and notch out the motor box to accept the included spare firewall.

Think it turned out pretty well, I used 1/2" square basswood to strengthen the firewall instead of the 2 pieces of included balsa triangle stock, I also pinned all fours sides with 1/8" hardwood dowel for extra piece of mind. I am also very happy with the motor alignment, the laser etching on the firewall was almost perfect and only needed a little massaging to get motor aligned with the cowl.

I Guess the fun starts now...next is working on the baffling, going to use Herve's templates he posted on the FG Thread and then modify for the DLE222. Have a friend with a CNC Router so think I am going to have the finished baffles made from either CF or G10.

I'm going to have to forward your motor mounting to my son. We just ordered the DLE 222 for his PAU Edge 540 today. That is a beast of a motor sitting in there for sure.

Haven't worked on the Big PAU Extra for a couple of weeks as my real job has been keeping me busy...but I did get one of the new 5" CF Spinners that Chad at TailDragger RC is now carrying. I also got a 4.5" one for my 108" AW Yak 55. Seems to be very nice quality...

3076cb4fea11afe4f6547a7c436d19b5_zps0fa909a2.jpg

Last edited: