• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Parallel Charging Pros and Cons

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Well the cost could be justified depending on the gear you buy, cause when you have to buy a high powered charger, AC power supply, and a generator, $1000 worth of batteries is pretty cheap! :banana::banghead:

I have a 650 watt generator I take to the field that I got pretty inexpensively. Total cost of my iCharger, AC power supply, field case, and generator was around $500, though I am limited on the max charging power I can use because my generator is only 650 watts max capable. Running the iCharger at 24v and charging 2 6s 5000 packs at 10 amps can start to push ~500 watts which can tax the generator (definitely can hear a load being put on it). The setup works fine though as I can have a set of packs charged every half hour. With my thunder power pack, I can have it charged in half the time!

Wait a minute [MENTION=3822]Xpress[/MENTION], an iCharger? Not a Hitec? Actually the iChargers are awesome, been wanted to upgrade to one of those sweet dual port models.

hbollier

70cc twin V2
uploadfromtaptalk1433987732992.jpg

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Wait a minute @Xpress, an iCharger? Not a Hitec? Actually the iChargers are awesome, been wanted to upgrade to one of those sweet dual port models.

Before you do you should check out the Cell Pro line up as well bro. Just saying...read up on both... I went through 2 of the 4010 Duo's. Im running CellPro PowerLab8

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Wait a minute [MENTION=3822]Xpress[/MENTION], an iCharger? Not a Hitec? Actually the iChargers are awesome, been wanted to upgrade to one of those sweet dual port models.

Yes I've had my iCharger long before I worked for Hitec. It's a reliable charger, don't see the need to get rid of it right now.

Before you do you should check out the Cell Pro line up as well bro. Just saying...read up on both... I went through 2 of the 4010 Duo's. Im running CellPro PowerLab8

I've seen both fail. When stuff comes from China, anything can happen.

I wonder what kind of current figures my power supplies would draw if I were to run my 308 duo up to it's full 50 amp max output capability.....:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

hbollier

70cc twin V2
It won't be able to balance each of the individual cells. You're paralleling several sets of cells and if there are variances in voltages between them then you're set for disaster. We at Hitec never recommend them (certainly not for any of our chargers), and I personally would never suggest them.

I always dedicate one channel per battery as that is how chargers are designed- to charge one battery at a time per channel. It is the safest method to charge, and when you are using a volatile piece of equipment you can never be too safe ;) I always store my packs at about 3.8v/cell, don't fly them below 3.72v at the max.

You guys sure are good at thread derailment :popcorn:
When the cells are connected in parallel they will reach homeostasis (equal voltage). Main power leads first then the balance leads. The charger just sees one big battery. No disaster required.

PRC_Robin

SITE SPONSOR
GSN SPONSOR
When the cells are connected in parallel they will reach homeostasis (equal voltage). Main power leads first then the balance leads. The charger just sees one big battery. No disaster required.

This is exactly right - as soon as you connect the packs in parallel the cells equalize in voltage, and will stay equal as long as they are connected together. All the #1 cells will be the same as each other, all the #2 cells will be the same as each other, etc. So when your charger reads cell #1 as 3.87V, for example, that is the correct voltage reading for all the #1 cells that you have connected, whether it be two, six, or 100. It's not an average, or the highest one, they're all the same. This is a really useful piece of physics. :) It allows your charger to accurately balance charge all your packs at the same time, because in essence there is only one battery, the resultant battery that you have made by connecting them in parallel.

The only thing you need to be careful about, really, is to make sure the packs are at similar states of charge when you connect them. In order to equalize in voltage, energy must flow from the higher cell to the lower, so if there is a large disparity that can be a big rush. The packs don't have to be exactly the same, but you don't generally want to be further than 0.2V per cell difference. This is why you should always connect all your main leads first, so that the energy transfer goes through the bigger wires and connectors, as it can sometimes be too much for the balance wires and traces on the board.

Really the only downside of parallel charging is that you lose the ability to individually monitor your packs, in terms of IR and capacity, so it's a good idea to charge them individually every now and then to keep an eye on how they're aging.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have been charging parallel for at least 3 years. I have not had anything terrible happen to any of my packs so far. It is just a matter of checking voltages etc. before you plug them in. I love my paraboard and all the time it saves me... especially on small packs for foamy flying. So far anything 25% or above has been gas for me.