• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Parallel Charging Pros and Cons

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Got my new Thunder Power LIGHTNING series 55C 6s 5000 pack in yesterday, can't wait to go out and get this sucker in the airplane, see what it can do...

If this thing performs awesome I'm going to get more of them. Will be real nice being able to charge them at 12C!!!!!!!!!!!!! May need a 5000w generator and a couple more chargers and power supplies :cool::banana:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Doesn't there come a point where you can't fly them as fast as you charge them? I thought that was at about 5c with three packs. With all the breaks I take between flights I usually charge at around 3c. The thing fast charge rates have done for me though, is that I don't bother charging before I get to the field most of the time. I just do it while assembling models etc. It usually works out pretty well for me that way.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Doesn't there come a point where you can't fly them as fast as you charge them? I thought that was at about 5c with three packs. With all the breaks I take between flights I usually charge at around 3c. The thing fast charge rates have done for me though, is that I don't bother charging before I get to the field most of the time. I just do it while assembling models etc. It usually works out pretty well for me that way.

Well I normally fly every half hour or so. Standing out in the sun is killer sometimes. At 4C I can have a pack charged every 20 minutes-ish so they'll be ready to go when I want to fly.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I also like to parralel charge so two or more packs are cooking at the same time. My paraboard will handle up to 6 packs at a time.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I also like to parralel charge so two or more packs are cooking at the same time. My paraboard will handle up to 6 packs at a time.

I tend to avoid those like the plague... Too much margin for error. Plus when you get up into these bigger packs pushing 30 amps+ to each one, paraboards don't tend to work so well...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Like I said, I avoid those like the plague. Too much margin for error, I'm not risking a $60 device even with my $200+ batteries :eek:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
What error are you talking about. Ive never seen or had a problem with this equipment so I don't understand.
So please do tell.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What error are you talking about. Ive never seen or had a problem with this equipment so I don't understand.
So please do tell.

The problem lies with the condition and voltage of each of the individual cells. If everything isn't at very near exacting values when you plug everything together, you can wind up overcharging one cell or not fully charging another, which of course can be disastrous to the pack...

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Right I get that, but your equipment should be able to balance your packs correctly. I know when charging at high rate you may be inviting such problems even while your balance charging. I usually charge at lower slower rate to help combat any issues. Lower and slower always gets you a better more accurate charge extending the life of your packs. I have some 65C 5000 mah packs with well over 300 flights on them and they are in great condition. Very low resistance around 8 to 10.5 or so and balance out at 4.2 per cell. In fact the last read off one of my batts for my 700 was this...
Cell
1. 1.7
2. 1.7
3. 1.5
4. 1.8
5. 1.8
6. 1.7 = 10.2
Pretty dang good bud. Of course I take very good care of my packs too. When not flying and know I won't be for a few day's I will do a storage charge set to 3.86 per cell. I don't ever let them stand around for more than a day at any level other than at storage level.