• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Parallel Charging Pros and Cons

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Right I get that, but your equipment should be able to balance your packs correctly.

It won't be able to balance each of the individual cells. You're paralleling several sets of cells and if there are variances in voltages between them then you're set for disaster. We at Hitec never recommend them (certainly not for any of our chargers), and I personally would never suggest them.

I always dedicate one channel per battery as that is how chargers are designed- to charge one battery at a time per channel. It is the safest method to charge, and when you are using a volatile piece of equipment you can never be too safe ;) I always store my packs at about 3.8v/cell, don't fly them below 3.72v at the max.

You guys sure are good at thread derailment :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Can't wait to slap this bad boy in the Slick and see how she does!

20150608_114520.jpeg

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Yeah me too. Only I think you got those confused with the Magna Series. I been looking at those myself. So let us know what you think.

Quote:
Got my new Thunder Power LIGHTNING series 55C 6s 5000 pack in yesterday, can't wait to go out and get this sucker in the airplane, see what it can do...

If this thing performs awesome I'm going to get more of them. Will be real nice being able to charge them at 12C!!!!!!!!!!!!! May need a 5000w generator and a couple more chargers and power supplies
End Quote:

Magna:$246.99
Specifications:
5000mAh 6-Cell/6S 22.2V Magna Series 70C LiPo, Split w/Interconnect

Max Charge: 12C
Max Charge Current: 60A
Max Cont. Discharge: 70C
Max Cont. Current: 350A
Max Burst: 140C
Max Burst Current: 700A
Weight (g): 796
Dimensions (mm): 49 x 46 x 156

Lightning Series:$167.99

5000mAh 6-Cell/6S 22.2V Lightning Series 55C LiPo, Split w/Interconnect
Specifications:
Max Charge: 8C
Max Charge Current: 40A
Max Cont. Discharge: 55C
Max Cont. Current: 275A
Max Burst: 100C
Max Burst Current: 550A
Weight (g): 782
Dimensions (mm): 47 x 46 x 154

Hey Admin could you please start a sub for all these off topic threads?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It actually says on the pack that it is capable of 12C max charge rates. Not that I really have the power to charge it at 60 amps :eek: but I can still do 6C. Which by my calculations, will take 15-20 minutes to charge. I have a feeling I may be spoiled by the power this pack puts out... Might have to change to all Thunder Power..

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I've used the fuse protected P-boards from BuddyRC for years. With my more expensive packs I charge them in parallel until they get to about 4.1v/cell and then I go one at a time finishing up so I don't have problems like what [MENTION=3822]Xpress[/MENTION] described. I need to get all my packs done the day before as I don't like charging off my car battery. One pack at a time is too tedious.

And BTW those are some expensive batteries. I would have a hard time justifying that kind of money for a single pack. But I know if you treat them right the TP batteries will last a LONG time.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Final weigh in...

773 grams! So it's under TP's weight rating. Not sure what my Zippy packs weigh, will have to pull them out tomorrow and check.

The cost to me is justified due to their performance alone. Never have I heard from any of my friends that they perform as good or at average to other brands, they are always above the curve. And as you said, the lifespan is a very long time especially since I balance charge every time and never store them depleted or charged- only to ~3.8v/cell.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
If I field charged I'd have an easier time justifying the cost. But since I bring charged packs to the field I need at least 4 or 5. That is $1000 in packs. To me that's a lot of money, although to serious heli pilots it's nothing. I had a buddy with over $2000 in batteries for his Goblin 700, and I remember one crash where he destroyed $500 in batteries, ouch!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well the cost could be justified depending on the gear you buy, cause when you have to buy a high powered charger, AC power supply, and a generator, $1000 worth of batteries is pretty cheap! :banana::banghead:

I have a 650 watt generator I take to the field that I got pretty inexpensively. Total cost of my iCharger, AC power supply, field case, and generator was around $500, though I am limited on the max charging power I can use because my generator is only 650 watts max capable. Running the iCharger at 24v and charging 2 6s 5000 packs at 10 amps can start to push ~500 watts which can tax the generator (definitely can hear a load being put on it). The setup works fine though as I can have a set of packs charged every half hour. With my thunder power pack, I can have it charged in half the time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I love parallel charging my smaller batts. I've charged a mix of 3s from 380mah to 2200' all at the same time and all come out good.