• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Ordered my Su-26

Tseres

150cc
Hope I'm not to late. Be sure to mount the Cowl with the Canopy on. That is what keeps the Cowl round and where it belongs. Sweetpea also warned me when I was building mine not to start the engine with the Cowl on unless the Canopy is on... Never seen it happen but he said there is a chance that the cowl will crack from the vibration.

Smitty

50cc
Thanks for the advice Tom, you are not to late and I did read the post sweetpea put up about cranking the engine. I was a little surprised to find out that the DLE-61 weights almost 1 pound more than the DA-50, I didn't think there would be that much difference.---Smitty

Tseres

150cc
Thanks for the advice Tom, you are not to late and I did read the post sweetpea put up about cranking the engine. I was a little surprised to find out that the DLE-61 weights almost 1 pound more than the DA-50, I didn't think there would be that much difference.---Smitty

I wouldn't worry much about that 1 lb. I'm sure my 58 is about as heavy as your 61.

Smitty

50cc
Have all servos in the flying surfaces. Got the pull-pull cables done today, I was surprised at how good they turned out, I usually don't do a real nice job on those but this time I think I did good. Have all the switches mounted. Temporarily mounted the engine with some makeshift spacers to get a idea on how the cowl will mount. Using the 6 3/4 measurement that Tom set his engine from the firewall, it seemed to me that the engine stuck out too far from the cowl. I am going to play around with the spacers and try to get the engine about a half inch from the cowl to the backplate of the spinner, unless someone can tell me why not do that. I only have about a inch of cowl fitting over the hatch. Boy it sure is looking good. From the way the engine sits now I don't have to cut any of the firewall away for the carb, I have about a half inch from the carb to the firewall. Here are a couple of photos .---Smitty 20151218_160959.jpg 20151215_092432.jpg

Attachments

• 20151215_092440.jpg
    20151215_092440.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 184

sweetpea

100cc
Yep...don't run the engine cowl on hatch off. Highr throttle isn't bad but the idle can shake and chip the paint

Smitty

50cc
Hey Tom I see you are on the forum right now. I have a question, I needed different length of standoffs than what came with the DLE, which were 3 inches. So I ordered the set from SWB that have a couple of different size spacers, only problem is the are drilled and come with 1/4-20 bolts now the DLE mounting holes are in mm I guess either a 5 or 3mm. What would you do, 1- Drill out the engine mount to accept the 1/4 inch bolt or put the smaller size mm bolt in and have a little slop in the spacers instead of a snug fit. I am leaning towards drilling out the engine mount. We are only talking about maybe 10 to 20 thousandths.---Smitty

Tseres

150cc
I have drilled out several motor mounts without any problems. I know of friends of mine that did the same without any problems.
However I'll let you make up your own mind on this one.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
For what it is worth, and just my opinion. Drill the motor mount. I've had to drill a number of them and I've had no problems. The amount you take away from the motor mount will never impede the structural integrity of the mount itself. The upside is that it is much easier to find or obtain bolts once upsized.