• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New servo has anyone any experience with this servo

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just found a site on GiantScaleNews under blue bird. People have been doing a lot of testing and are very pleased with the servos. I am now sorry I did not buy 9 of them tryed to buy more but we're all sold out.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Recieved the servo looks really good and very well finished on the out sides. All the edges have nicely been edged and engraved. Did some testing with 12 inch arms. The servo is quicker than my 8711 and my 8411. Is as good as both of them in centring and going end to end. With a 1kg weight on a 1 1/2 arm the blue bird was quicker and more accurate coming back to centre. The only thing I noticed the servo does generate quite some heat. So up to now it looks good. One thing with this power look out if you get your finger in the wrong place it really hurts. Also a nice set of arms come with the servo. The hardware is good and they expect you to bolt the servo down, no screws which I can understand with this amount of torque. The servo is the same size as the 8711 ok not exactly but will fit the same mounting hole with very little sanding if any.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Those are some pretty impressive numbers. At nearly the same price as other mainstream servos, if they can take the abuse, they'd definitely be worth investigating. There are two things about this servo however that does raise a red flag to me. First, if they are generating a lot of heat, it would definitely be a good idea to isolate "any" wiring and harnesses further away from them than I/We already do. That in itself is not a terrible thing. Yet Harve of Astec Models lost a bird at Huckfest due to melted servo leads that were too close to the servos. Just a cautionary point I feel. The other thing that concerns me is this. Generated heat usually always equates to higher amp draw and power useage. Most all high torque servos are going to use a little more power, hence building up a little warmth and strain on systems. In demanding so much from our servos, I wonder if there is a point that "more" is too much and not necessarily better. Our flight packs could possibly take a harder hit as well. Leaving more to chance and risk than what it's worth. These are just my thoughts and concerns. A better, stronger, faster and more precise servo for less cost would be awesome. Will be very interested to see the results from those that are more brave and daring than I.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
When I said warm it means you could feel some temperature on the casing nothing Evan close to melting a wire. Please note that when forcing a servo to develop 800 oz it is going to make some heat. But you must remember the servo will only use what is required to move the surface.please note just got the servo no long time experience or it has not been in a plane. Time will tell.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
the servo does generate quite some heat
Was not sure what you meant. At any rate, I absolutely agree. As I mentioned, when we demand a lot from our servos, they most definitely will use more amps, thus more heat. Heck, I would bet any brand name servo that is peaking in our extreme 3d planes is going to build a little warmth. Just wasn't sure how much they were generating. Still interested in hearing of your results.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I live in Canada so I can not answer your question. It took me 7 working days to receive the servo.
One thing I would like to bring up is that the connection plug from the servo to the reciever is my biggest concern.. Did a test and ran 5 amps through a connection and it got so hot you could barely touch it. At 10 amps it failed. Note this was new connectors. From this I will make all my leads from the servo to the reciever one wire and no connectors. I new they were not that good but not that bad, cannot belive that this is not a major concern in the hobby.