• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Welcome [MENTION=3703]rockymtnflier[/MENTION]. Sounds like you are having a blast! Sorry to hear about the crashes etc. though. I am a UT boy born and raised in the St George area. Now I live in Vegas for work.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Hello I'm Richard from Park City UT.

Started flying a Hobbico Superstar 40 in '99 at Salt Lake City's Model Port till the city shut it down in a land swap, still waiting for the new Model Port to be built, I decided in 2009 to get back into it and flew from any real estate big enough to land on. But the wind up in the mountains is brutal and gusty and after flipping the 40 - while landing - into the tarmac I decided to go heavier/bigger with a Hangar-9 27% Extra Kit with a 50cc gas engine (Nitro gets old too fast and too finicky). Wrecked that on first take off due to bad trim and inexperience. Switched to Aeroworks 78" Extra 260 for better build quality, put 2 of those into the salt flats goofing around too close to the ground. On my 3rd Aeroworks 260 I started playing safer with a $100 twisted hobbies Edge 540 for learning 3D, a Hitec Weekender 300S (great plane except for the motor - now running a Cobra C-2826) for improving general flight skills and getting my groove on before flying the gasser which is where the ultimate reward is! I've driven 60 miles up to Evanston to fly with those guys until I found a private flying field in Heber where my Aeroworks had it's last flight due to an ignition problem (likely due to too many crashes :facepalm:). Got a new RCEXL ignition and the EVO50GX even starts better now. Replaced the Aeroworks with a 30% PilotRC Extra 260 (like 3DMIKE's avatar) upon the assumption the 50cc was too heavy for the 78" - it didn't glide well enough (pancaking very hard just short of the runway). I am currently removing the Ultracote and recovering in a Red Bull scheme, might post pictures later of the project if there's interest! :popcorn: I also have Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E325S to change it up every now and then which I recently put training balls on to help remind me I'm still in training :eek:.

Well thats enough about me!

You had me at Park City! LOL

I've visited there many many times to ski at PC and DV. It's been probably 20 years since I've been though and I need to get back. Glad to have you here and the Extra 260 should be great for you. Mine floats like a dream and can do anything I ask of it, which for my ability is still only about 50% of the planes ability.

rockymtnflier

New to GSN!
Welcome [MENTION=3703]rockymtnflier[/MENTION]. Sounds like you are having a blast! Sorry to hear about the crashes etc. though. I am a UT boy born and raised in the St George area. Now I live in Vegas for work.

Vegas? Sorry to hear it Nate LOL! At least you get more flying season than me:cool:

rockymtnflier

New to GSN!
You had me at Park City! LOL

I've visited there many many times to ski at PC and DV. It's been probably 20 years since I've been though and I need to get back. Glad to have you here and the Extra 260 should be great for you. Mine floats like a dream and can do anything I ask of it, which for my ability is still only about 50% of the planes ability.

Hey Mike, is yours a 30%? If so how much does it way (tank empty)? Before buying the PilotRC I had a LiPo fail on my heli so I decided to go with a Power Expander from RedWingRC that gives me redundant power with 2 batteries including equal draw down - a little more peace of mind when spending this much time and money...

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Mike, is yours a 30%? If so how much does it way (tank empty)? Before buying the PilotRC I had a LiPo fail on my heli so I decided to go with a Power Expander from RedWingRC that gives me redundant power with 2 batteries including equal draw down - a little more peace of mind when spending this much time and money...

It's 35%. Absolutely love it and it flies like a dream. I agree with ya as I have a smart fly eq power expander in mine.

[MENTION=3762]luvdabipes[/MENTION].. welcome to the forum Mark... guess you know by good flying buddy fred up there at cape I would suppose

[MENTION=712]bbrown2828[/MENTION]....I do know Fred... in fact he flew my 65" profile yesterday and helped me out a bunch! Hes a great guy and one hell of a pilot!

Last edited by a moderator: