• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Hi Guys! I'm Justin Martin for those of you who don't know me(I guess that's just about all of you)

I'm 17 years old, and don't know how long I'd consider myself an R/C pilot, I guess just a little over two years. I started flying when I was about 5, but it never held my interest. I had flown just enough to take off and do very basic circle flying. I had a trainer and a sport plane, but it just wasn't for me, I didn't have any fun, so I never flew them. It wasn't until 2011 I started to get into(when I moved to TN.). I'll be honest, Tennessee sucks :), just about as boring of a place to live, so I started hanging out at the flying fields more often with my dad. At the time we had an E-flite pro cap that my dad just flew around to do stupid stuff with. Pretty soon I started flying it, and it became my plane. it was an extremely pitchy plane(WAY too tail heavy)which has really helped my basics as a 3d flier, which I'm now glad for because it taught me a lot, especially basic things like landing a 3d plane with 80 deg. elevator. I also learned the basic post stall 3d manuevers, harriers both upright and inverted, torque rolls, and near the end of its' life, harrier rolling. It was the airplane I could fly fearlessly(and when I started to surpass it's abilities, I did :D). I still have a LONG way to go before I become the pilot I want to be, but I'm happy with the progress I've made. I'm slowly making the transition from EF to 3DHS planes, but I currently fly an EF 48 MXS, 3DHS 47 SHP, EF 48 Laser, 3DHS 41 Edge, EF 88 extra 300( will probably become an IMAC bird next year if I don't sell it), and can't wait to get 58 and 74(or 92) edge's from 3dhs as soon as I can!

On a more personal level though, I'm just a nerd :) My other hobby is 1980's G.I.Joe's(I wasn't kidding when I said I'm a nerd), particularly foreign release figures. My dad is a corporate pilot, so my entire life has been spent in and around planes, and I'm currently trying to get into the Air Force Academy, although if that doesn't work out I plan on joining the Marines as an Aviator. No matter what, I plan on being around airplanes for the rest of my life. My hope is to someday get a real MXS, or any of the other unlimited class aerobatic planes.

That was a bit long winded, sorry guys! Guess that covers it all though

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Welcome to the site, Justin! You will fit in perfectly here. We're all nerds one way or the other. Happy to have you here! Please look around and feel free to ask questions! There's a lot of very friendly people with lots of knowledge reading the threads here, so you'll more than likely get good answers.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hi Guys! I'm Justin Martin for those of you who don't know me(I guess that's just about all of you)

I'm 17 years old, and don't know how long I'd consider myself an R/C pilot, I guess just a little over two years. I started flying when I was about 5, but it never held my interest. I had flown just enough to take off and do very basic circle flying. I had a trainer and a sport plane, but it just wasn't for me, I didn't have any fun, so I never flew them. It wasn't until 2011 I started to get into(when I moved to TN.). I'll be honest, Tennessee sucks :), just about as boring of a place to live, so I started hanging out at the flying fields more often with my dad. At the time we had an E-flite pro cap that my dad just flew around to do stupid stuff with. Pretty soon I started flying it, and it became my plane. it was an extremely pitchy plane(WAY too tail heavy)which has really helped my basics as a 3d flier, which I'm now glad for because it taught me a lot, especially basic things like landing a 3d plane with 80 deg. elevator. I also learned the basic post stall 3d manuevers, harriers both upright and inverted, torque rolls, and near the end of its' life, harrier rolling. It was the airplane I could fly fearlessly(and when I started to surpass it's abilities, I did :D). I still have a LONG way to go before I become the pilot I want to be, but I'm happy with the progress I've made. I'm slowly making the transition from EF to 3DHS planes, but I currently fly an EF 48 MXS, 3DHS 47 SHP, EF 48 Laser, 3DHS 41 Edge, EF 88 extra 300( will probably become an IMAC bird next year if I don't sell it), and can't wait to get 58 and 74(or 92) edge's from 3dhs as soon as I can!

On a more personal level though, I'm just a nerd :) My other hobby is 1980's G.I.Joe's(I wasn't kidding when I said I'm a nerd), particularly foreign release figures. My dad is a corporate pilot, so my entire life has been spent in and around planes, and I'm currently trying to get into the Air Force Academy, although if that doesn't work out I plan on joining the Marines as an Aviator. No matter what, I plan on being around airplanes for the rest of my life. My hope is to someday get a real MXS, or any of the other unlimited class aerobatic planes.

That was a bit long winded, sorry guys! Guess that covers it all though

Welcome to the site, Justin! You will fit in perfectly here. We're all nerds one way or the other. Happy to have you here! Please look around and feel free to ask questions! There's a lot of very friendly people with lots of knowledge reading the threads here, so you'll more than likely get good answers.

I'm a big nerd myself... (an AF Pilot :D:D) so I think you're in the right place... welcome to the site, and hope to meet you at one of the FLIs this year. I'll be in Arkansas in September, but not Knoxville unfortunately.

For the Academy, it obviously very competitive to get into, and its a very unique place with a different college experience. Personally, I'm an OTS guy, but if you were my kid, I'd recommend ROTC and/or the Air National Guard. Either way, good luck, we need more nerds in the AF! :D

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Thanks, the knowledge base here will certainly come in handy!

I'm a big nerd myself... (an AF Pilot :D:D) so I think you're in the right place... welcome to the site, and hope to meet you at one of the FLIs this year. I'll be in Arkansas in September, but not Knoxville unfortunately.

For the Academy, it obviously very competitive to get into, and its a very unique place with a different college experience. Personally, I'm an OTS guy, but if you were my kid, I'd recommend ROTC and/or the Air National Guard. Either way, good luck, we need more nerds in the AF! :D

Thanks, things are hectic for me right now(parents getting divorced) so I don't know how many events I'll be able to go to, but I'll hit every one of them that I can. I'm moving to Dallas in a few weeks, so that'll get me closer to the west coast events, not to mention I'm sure I'll be at some of the more localized events in your area.
I'm still not certain as to how to go about joining the forces, but I do plan on taking ROTC in college if I don't go through the Academy(I'm currently in JROTC). There's a lot to consider, but I'd love for you to weigh in if you don't mind and tell me what the best route to being a pilot would be in the Air Force is from your experiences, and what you would've done differently/what to watch out for.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm still not certain as to how to go about joining the forces, but I do plan on taking ROTC in college if I don't go through the Academy(I'm currently in JROTC). There's a lot to consider, but I'd love for you to weigh in if you don't mind and tell me what the best route to being a pilot would be in the Air Force is from your experiences, and what you would've done differently/what to watch out for.

Sure, send me a PM and we can talk about it

-G

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Welcome Justin. Gary makes a good point on the Air Guard, look into that during your searches. I'm a former aerobatics instructor and airline pilot now and went all civilian. However, my wife went civilian/ air guard and had a great 9 years at the unit before we started a family. She's flying at an airline too. The great thing about aviation, like this hobby, is that there are so many ways to fulfill your flying dreams. You've grown up around yet another route with your dad. It's not easy so work hard and don't give up on those dreams. Have fun here, it's the best "go to" forum for precision and 3D flying.

Hi Justin. Congratulations on your progression with the hobby and your impressive collection of planes. Good luck with the Academy!

wade

50cc
Hello Everybody, My name is Wade and I'm from Knoxville, TN. I have a first name, but hardly anybody uses it. It's Kris just in case you still want to know.

I"ve been flying for around 3 years now. My dad has flown rc planes ever since I was about 6 or 7. I started out with a trainer and got the basics down, and then moved on to basic precision and a little bit of 3d. I try to fly just for fun, but I will be honest. I am a bit of a perfectionist, and if I'm having a hard time getting a maneuver down, I do tend to beat myself up a little. bit. Being in the hobby has allowed me to meet some world class pilots that turned out to be some of the most down to earth people I have ever talked to.

I currently fly a 3dhs 72" extra 330sc with a dle 30, and I'm building a 87" Extra SHP with a DA50 I recently acquired. I also mess with the smaller electrics, 3dhs buck huck, 42" slick, 47" SHP (took a nasty landing last weekend, the verdict is still out of in it is salvageable or not), and just recently bought an Extreme Flight 48" Yak 54. I think I am going to stick in the 30cc range of planes for a while. We have a 3dhs sponsored pilot at our field, and just the price of the gear he puts in his 100"+ planes makes my wallet hurt.

I fly at House Mountain in Corryton, TN. We are having a FLI August 15th to 18th, I hope some of you are attending.

SnowDog

Wade, welcome to the fun! Glad you found the site and joined and introduced yourself! I look forward to meeting you at the Knoxville FLI! I just got back from the Cape Girardeau FLI and I'm already looking forward to the next one! I've heard Bivens and crew put on a great event.
Again, welcome....make yourself at home. ;)

3dbandit

100cc
Hello Everybody, My name is Wade and I'm from Knoxville, TN. I have a first name, but hardly anybody uses it. It's Kris just in case you still want to know.

I"ve been flying for around 3 years now. My dad has flown rc planes ever since I was about 6 or 7. I started out with a trainer and got the basics down, and then moved on to basic precision and a little bit of 3d. I try to fly just for fun, but I will be honest. I am a bit of a perfectionist, and if I'm having a hard time getting a maneuver down, I do tend to beat myself up a little. bit. Being in the hobby has allowed me to meet some world class pilots that turned out to be some of the most down to earth people I have ever talked to.

I currently fly a 3dhs 72" extra 330sc with a dle 30, and I'm building a 87" Extra SHP with a DA50 I recently acquired. I also mess with the smaller electrics, 3dhs buck huck, 42" slick, 47" SHP (took a nasty landing last weekend, the verdict is still out of in it is salvageable or not), and just recently bought an Extreme Flight 48" Yak 54. I think I am going to stick in the 30cc range of planes for a while. We have a 3dhs sponsored pilot at our field, and just the price of the gear he puts in his 100"+ planes makes my wallet hurt.

I fly at House Mountain in Corryton, TN. We are having a FLI August 15th to 18th, I hope some of you are attending.

Welcome to the site. I hope you can have as much fun and learn as much as I have here.