• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Moki 180 (30cc) blast from the past

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Ok..... so my sister has found a late in life romance and to entice her new beau she blats out "My brother is in to Giant Scale RC!!" So an introduction and a couple of dinners between the three of us landed an old OMP super chipmunk (built from a kit) in my shop which has a Moki 180 glow on it where both plane and engine had been stored in a HOT southern home attic for the past 16 years. I said to myself.....SELF!.....is a resurrection attempt going to be worth it??? Well yes in deed it was. I found out as much as I could about the engines operating history and discovered very little information other than it had maybe less than a gallon of Byron Originals 5% fuel run through it. I wish I had taken pictures of both the retired attic queen and lump of aluminum and steel that hung on it's nose before I put the 60 or so hours to it all. Did get some vid of the plane and engine flying but it was done on an older Sony Handy Cam that needs operating software to be loaded to your PC specific to Sony's formatting. As soon as I can find the software I will post up the vid.

Now the engine was completely seized up along with the carb barrel. A soak in a nice warm bath (about 250 degrees) of 30 weight motor oil allowed me to easily dismantle the engine for cleaning. After a complete varnish redaction with a soft tooth brush, wash cloth, comet cleanser and berrymans carb cleaner the engine looked brand spanking new. NO appreciable wear on the moving parts! NO scratches to the liner or piston! The only parts I replaced were the rusted out bolts holding it together! My "future brother in-law" also gave me a baggy of parts which he said would make a complete duplicate 180! Not true! it was a 140! This was a great thing because I know the 140 carb performs much better on the 180 than the 180 carb!
Just wanted to share my blast from the past with you guys.....

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Operating performance of restored engine and accessories...

Moki 180 (30cc) running medium hot glow plug, Moki 140 carb, Bisson side mount pitts muffler, 10 year old Byron Originals 5% fuel and a new Xoar 20 x 8 beechwood prop.

Ground rpm slightly rich setting 91 degrees OD temp 93% humidity- 7200 rpm
Thrust- 23 lbs

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Kelly is the future BIL gonna get bk into flying with you? or did you just get a Sun. flyer for yourself?

He is getting back in to flying Giant Scale. The chipmunk was his old school favorite back in the day and I did a complete restoration for him. Had first generation hi-tech servos in it along with an old Polk receiver and Futaba conquest transmitter. He is the guy I was supposed to sell my EDGE to but I backed out and offered up to restore the Moki and Chipmunk. I did sell him my old 10c transmitter and brand new Blue Bird servos and all new ball link hardware for everything. Totally different plane now. It fly's great and is very aerobatic but NOT a 3Der. Nice scale aerobat! He did just open the box to a brand new 30% Pilot yak 54. He will be putting an EME 60 and canister in it:)

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
He is getting back in to flying Giant Scale. The chipmunk was his old school favorite back in the day and I did a complete restoration for him. Had first generation hi-tech servos in it along with an old Polk receiver and Futaba conquest transmitter. He is the guy I was supposed to sell my EDGE to but I backed out and offered up to restore the Moki and Chipmunk. I did sell him my old 10c transmitter and brand new Blue Bird servos and all new ball link hardware for everything. Totally different plane now. It fly's great and is very aerobatic but NOT a 3Der. Nice scale aerobat! He did just open the box to a brand new 30% Pilot yak 54. He will be putting an EME 60 and canister in it:)
Couple Slipstream Chips in our club, one loves his, the other hates it. Ahhh the old gold stickered CONQUEST, I donated the couple I had, along with trainer to the my club, so we could give incentive flights, damn things still getting the job done. Yak sounds like it will be fun.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Couple Slipstream Chips in our club, one loves his, the other hates it. Ahhh the old gold stickered CONQUEST, I donated the couple I had, along with trainer to the my club, so we could give incentive flights, damn things still getting the job done. Yak sounds like it will be fun.

Yep! The slip streams are the ARF version of the old OMP kit. I'm having dinner tonight with them and will get some pictures.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Pictures!:).

0619151846-00.jpg 0619151848-00.jpg 0619151849-00.jpg 0619151851-01.jpg 0619151853-00.jpg 0619151900-00.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Before I got into gas engines the Moki 2.10 was my favorite engine. Great sound and power from a glow engine.