• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC 2.7m Extra 300CS

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
I thought I would post this in as many places as I could to help get the word out.

I do want to make sure everyone see one of the cool things we are doing for the U.S. F3A World Championship Team. So not only do you have a chance to win some sweet airplanes (including a JTEC Radiowave 3.1m MX2 if you choose) but you can sign up to have a small group of friends get a training lesson from Andrew and it doesn't matter whether you want to learn precision, 3D, helicopters, DLG's, whatever you want he can help.

Hey Guys, WE'RE AUCTIONING ANDREW JESKY!!!!

That’s right! We’re auctioning Andrew!

As a new fund raiser for the FAI F3A team Andrew has volunteered to travel at HIS expense, anywhere in the continental US (although I’m betting you might convince him on Hawaii) for a 3 day weekend to Coach, Train, Trim, hang out, or otherwise have flying fun with up to 10 people!

If you haven’t had the pleasure of getting help from one of the worlds best pilots, you’re in for a treat. Pattern, IMAC, Heli, Sailplane… he’s highly proficient at all of them and is a tremendous instructor. Get a group together to raise your bid and have Andrew come spend the weekend working with everyone to get your new 2015 aircraft trimmed out and fix those maneuvers that are giving you fits!

Plan is to have him arrive Thursday evening, fly all day Friday/Saturday and Sunday morning, and then leave mid day on Sunday.

Depending on location, Andrew will drive and bring some of his own aircraft if desirable for demo’s or doing a local club demo and spend the rest of the time in one on one coaching.

Please, no more than 10 people so that everyone gets adequate time. Also, to help same some $$, if one of the bidders is willing to host Andrew for the weekend that to would be very helpful

Here’s the link on the team site to the Auction - http://www.teamusaf3a.com/index.php/team-usa-f3a-auction/bid/1/0

Auction closes on March 15th, 2015, and the selection of which weekend is open to negotiation with Andrew. There is a reserve price set.

Bid high! Bid Often!!!!

-Mark
PS. If there's a way to spread this around I would appreciate it. Please post this in other forum's and help me get the word out!!!

Last edited:

Alky6

150cc
Got the vertical stab/rudder sheeted. Another vacuum bagged part! I am really liking the vacuum bagging. Super duper easy! Best part is no edge gluing of the sheeting!!!! Also started on the wings. I checked the fit with both wings on the flat table. Wing tube locations are on the money in all three planes (x,y,z). One of the wing sockets needed just a bit of sanding. I used a 1 1/2" dowl with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around it. a few plunges and the phenolic fit perfect.

I used two pieces of 1/8" balsa on each phenolic end to seal them off. Cut around the wing tube to size the one that goes inside the phenolic (this one was glued in first flush with the end of the tube), then just cut a square piece and glued it to the inside piece and to the end of the phenolic. Then sanded it to shape once the CA glue dried. Used gorilla glue to glue in the phenolics. So what does one do with the bit of gorilla glue that expands to the outside of the wing? See last pic.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Alky6,

You're doing a great job with your build. I have a silly question, if you don't mind. What is the purpose of plugging up the end of the wing tube?

Thanks

Alky6

150cc
Thanks David, and not a silly question. The phenolic tubes need to be plugged (or by some other manner, a pin, etc.) to keep the wing tube (or main spar) from sliding out of position. It is important that the wing tube (main spar) be in contact with the false rib that is glued to the foam core as it transfers the load out at that point. It is also convenient to plug versus a pin, etc. since you don't want glue getting inside the phenolic during the gluing process of the phenolic tube and the sheeting.
-Paul

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Used gorilla glue to glue in the phenolics. So what does one do with the bit of gorilla glue that expands to the outside of the wing? See last pic.

This seems to be a PITA no matter what, I've learned to be more conservative with the GG in this process because it's very hard to sand. If you are not careful you sand the foam around the GG at a faster fate than the poly and you never catch up. The best way I've found is to take a fresh razor blade (like you use in a utility knife) and lay it basically flat on the wing. Slowly and carefully shave off as much as possible. If you need to sand it, cover all the surrounding clean foam with masking tape and then you can sand on the GG without fear of dipping the foam.

What I have started as well is to cover the top of the tube slot and the exposed areas where the glue will come out with masking tape. Just one more aide to help keep the foam expanding under the surface. Good luck!

Alky6

150cc
Thanks Terry! Very helpful. Will give that a go and will definitely use masking tape to help mitigate the glue expansion/clean up in the future. Will post some pics of the process.

Alky6

150cc
So using @Terryscustom 's recommendation and incorporating @IMAC FANATIC 's razor tool for trimming covering I was able to easily remove the extra Gorilla glue from the wing. Thanks!! Those thin butterfly razor blades really work well. I used thin CA to glue them to a piece of balsa. I sanded the rest along with a bit of the false rib. Used the blue tape to protect the foam while sanding.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg