• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC practice tips for new pilots.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Join IMAC at www.mini-iac.com . I think theres a mental difference between just thinking about competing and actually being a member. Its a small amount of money well spent.
And your entry fees will be lower at event also. register at the web site and view the online judging criteria, theres some handy video of how every single manouver in the book should be flown and how to correctly judge it.
Agreed @TasmanianDevil, know your plane in every condition and try to fly pro active not just reactive. Flying even 1/2 second ahead of your plane is a benefit.

Last edited:
Good tips.

Count your figures out.
<snip>
Pull to 45° count one one thousand, two one thousand, 1/2 roll, count one one thousand two one thousand, pull to level, count your base line, even count out each half segment of your loop.
Using a metronome, keeps you from counting fast and keeps the pace mellow.

Be VERY careful using counting.

Say you are on an upline with an element.... and you count before the element and count the same after the element...
sure the time is the same, but I'll bet the airplane is slowing down...
so DISTANCE... and that is what is judged... will not be the same....

Same on downlines.... the airframe will probably be speeding up on the downline after the element... so again, if you count, the time is correct, but since the airframe is accelerating, I'll bet the second half of the downline ends up longer.....

Just a heads up.

IMAC FANATIC

Good point and thank you , Never considered airspeed factor.
although theres not any upline elements in basic the airspeed does change.
Somehow counting kept me consistent and was one of the first pointers in a session that helped me fly bigger and bigger figures.

Last edited:
I hear ya...but remember.... just because it is a common pointer... and a common thing you hear during contests... it doesn't make it "right"

;)

I have a question concerning the accepted noise level.
If as a new pilot you attend an IMAC contest and enter to fly in basic with a plane that was not purposely built as an IMAC plane. Meaning you are running a Pitts style muffler. After judges listen to planes on canisters fly this Pitts style muffler will seem excessively loud if the IMAC standard is the sound level from canisters. Will the Pitts style muffler have a negative impact on your score?

RJ- Is this the plane with the DA-85? Have you flown this with Craig?
Don't let the thought of sound score keep you from flying IMAC. Come on out and have some fun.

Back to the original thread topic-
My tip-

Start each practice day with a two sequence round. This is how you will fly at a contest, so get used to flying the sequence cold.

Then you can go back and work on individual maneuvers based off of what you had the most trouble with.

IMAC FANATIC

Try to keep your rounds of practice " contest grade" , from take off to landing maintain a controlled and disciplined flight, especially in the turn around manouvers. Only half cubans ,split s and immelmann s are allowed, staying inverted, point rolls, flat turns ,rolls , etc, can get your round zeroed before you even start.
I did a poor half cuban that was viewed as a point roll before entering the box and the round was zeroed, costing me a 1st to 4th place and dropping a place overall for the season.
Pretend everything counts from take off to landing.

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
This is an awesome thread! I tried a bit last year with the basic sequence but bombed out. These pointers got me all fired up again! Thanks and keep 'em coming!

IMAC FANATIC

Welcome, any questions in particular you have about the sequence or rounds or about an event in general we will try to help the best we can. Whats important is to burn fuel with a purpose and a smile,