• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAA is no longer...

2walla

50cc
As i recall they helped kill off the QSAA years ago which didnt make me happy. Though it is sad to see the AMA SIG die off as we will need someone to keep the AMA from selling giant scale flyers down the road to the FAA when the time comes.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I am sad to see it go to, but like many here, I felt it was coming for some time: when I flew in the early eighties in southern California, I hung out with Jim Meister (Meister Scale) and he was flying giant scale (1/4 scale was giant then). This kind of flying was often pushed aside, labelled "dangerous" because too big.

Fast forward to mid 2000's, and everyone can buy a quality ARF 30% scale or larger, with better and safer equipment than was available prior.

Knowledge on the set up has also been more readily available than it used to.

It may be the biggest contribution from the IMAA: it did such a good job at representing the Giant Scale community that we have become main stream...

Thank you those who did such a great job promoting it!

Islandflyer;5045 wrote:

It may be the biggest contribution from the IMAA: it did such a good job at representing the Giant Scale community that we have become main stream...

Thank you those who did such a great job promoting it!
Exactly! Job one done! IMAA was a great success.

Do-rag

100cc
BarracudaHockey;5100 wrote: Agreed

I kind of saw this when Nall dropped the requirement, how many signed up just to fly there?

More than will admit it. Joe Nall is where I learned about the IMAA and first signed up.

SleepyC

150cc
It is sad, but I think the IMAA did not do enough to adapt to the changing climate of Giant Scale.

If you constantly cater to an older crowd and ignore the younger crowd, eventually your user base is gone.

I know it can be hard to appeal to markets that are that far apart but I think it's necessary to stay afloat.

More events, more young pilot out reach could have saved the IMAA.

And I'm not saying they were not doing some of those things, but they were not doing it enough to a memory in my head.

It is sad, and they will be missed.

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Yea Stephen, that was one of the issues...

We went to an IMAA district event last year. Some older guy almost flew a Pawnee through the Easy Up where my girl friend was sitting and nearly took out GreenE's giant Citabria. The older guys talked about the wind rolling off the trees etc and laughed it off. Neal went and did a 3D flight (tame by his standards) and a couple of them actually packed up and left and others went to the CD and complained that it was dangerous, where he was in control and no where near flying out of bounds.

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
BarracudaHockey;5110 wrote: Yea Stephen, that was one of the issues...

We went to an IMAA district event last year. Some older guy almost flew a Pawnee through the Easy Up where my girl friend was sitting and nearly took out GreenE's giant Citabria. The older guys talked about the wind rolling off the trees etc and laughed it off. Neal went and did a 3D flight (tame by his standards) and a couple of them actually packed up and left and others went to the CD and complained that it was dangerous, where he was in control and no where near flying out of bounds.

Wow, that is utter BS. It that was their mentality, then goodbye! I always wondered why IMAA didn't have a real presence at the Giant Festival at DeLand when I was there. Probably because of the "extreme aerobatic demonstrations"!

sad to hear. my son and i won a membership to imaa a couple of years ago at joe nall. seemed like a nice bunch of folks. i enjoyed the magazine. never made it to an imaa event other than joe nall.