• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAA is no longer...

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I just received an email announcing the "Farewell to IMAA"

Here is the text:

[COLOR= #0000FF]Gentlemen,

Yesterday the Board voted to print the farewell issue of High Flight Magazine, put it online for the digital subscribers and pay off the remaining obligations and close down. We did not take this action lightly. Unfortunately the membership has dropped below 3,000 and the digital international sales did not take off. We hoped that would save the organization. We cannot stay in business with only 3,000 members. Rather than go into deficit spending we are honoring our obligations. Unfortunately there won't be any funds available to refund members still due magazines.

If you get any complaints please forward the to me. I'm willing to take the heat.

Thank you all for your support, Giant Scale flying will go on, just without the IMAA

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail[/COLOR]

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
Islandflyer;4862 wrote: I just received an email announcing the "Farewell to IMAA"

Here is the text:

[COLOR= #0000FF]Gentlemen,

Yesterday the Board voted to print the farewell issue of High Flight Magazine, put it online for the digital subscribers and pay off the remaining obligations and close down. We did not take this action lightly. Unfortunately the membership has dropped below 3,000 and the digital international sales did not take off. We hoped that would save the organization. We cannot stay in business with only 3,000 members. Rather than go into deficit spending we are honoring our obligations. Unfortunately there won't be any funds available to refund members still due magazines.

If you get any complaints please forward the to me. I'm willing to take the heat.

Thank you all for your support, Giant Scale flying will go on, just without the IMAA

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail[/COLOR]
Maybe it is too late but if not, maybe GSN could somehow keynote a membership drive to save the IMAA.... I wonder how many new members they would need ASAP to change their mind and possibly survive.

PatNjos

30cc
It's probably not possible, unless they got another 3000. This sucks.. I'm new to Rc, and it seems that in just my 3yrs that there has been a major drop in general interest.

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
What a pity. I first came across IMAA at a Snap-A-Huckfest at Gardner Airport in Massachusetts a few years ago. As that was my first exposure to Giant Scale planes, it was love at first sight, so I joined up. Unfortunately, they had no representation at other giant scale events I attended in PA and FL. There should certainly be a SIG among the giant scale flyers, especially seeing how much love we don't get at our fields from the old school flyers.

Wacobipe

100cc
That is genuinely very sad news...they had an awesome mission of getting together for fun and no competition.

Honestly, IMAA had its purpose before giant scale was main stream. To me, giant scale has become so main stream that it is just another form of model aviation. I was a member of the IMAA on and off over the years in order to fly at a few fly ins. I never felt like I was getting anything in return for my dues.

Do-rag

100cc
I unfortunately saw this coming several years ago. Do not get m wrong I have been a member for around 19 years. In the beginning IMAA provided information to the modelers that you could not easily find. But with the explosion of the information age they did not keep up. They were no longer able to provide anymore information to the general modeler than they could find with google or a forum such as this. I am sorry that it came to this.

I remember having conversations with some of the IMAA guys about having a 3D event. When I told them they would have to open the door to non-IMAA people that was a big no no. IMAC let's non members fly at contests. They just charge an extra 5 bucks or so.

I guess its time has come and gone.