• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Idiot Boy Builds an Old School World Engines Robin Hood 99 Kit

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Dang. Takes a lot of clamps to stick build a toy airplane. :p

image.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Are sure you want to build this as a one piece wing you still have the opportunity to make it a 2 piece wing with a tube. If I was building this plane it would be a 2 piece wing. This takes me back in the days when I first got into so called giant scale in the days all the wings from Ohio RC and Midwest were all 80 inches and up and one piece and they were a really pain in the A** to work on and carry around.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Awesome! Thanks Terry. I'm going to stop by Lowe's on my way to work this morning and see if they have that in stock. If not, I'll order some. Sounds like great stuff.

Another question for you Terry, I can't remember what brand of CA you use? Was it Loctite? I think @BalsaDust uses the same.

Sorry didn't check back for a few days, I really like the Titebond CA because it does not get brittle like other CA's and it also bonds really well with plywood. Apply in in two coats. First a bead with parts clamped together in their final position, let that bead soak in and cure for a couple minutes and then apply another bead. After curing is an amazing bond. Again, not starting the glue debate but tested right next to Zap it is no where near as apt to get brittle. Especially if you use accelerator which you should try to use sparingly.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Sorry didn't check back for a few days, I really like the Titebond CA because it does not get brittle like other CA's and it also bonds really well with plywood. Apply in in two coats. First a bead with parts clamped together in their final position, let that bead soak in and cure for a couple minutes and then apply another bead. After curing is an amazing bond. Again, not starting the glue debate but tested right next to Zap it is no where near as apt to get brittle. Especially if you use accelerator which you should try to use sparingly.
Looking good.

Thanks brother. I might give the Titebond a try if I can find it locally. :way_to_go:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Are sure you want to build this as a one piece wing you still have the opportunity to make it a 2 piece wing with a tube. If I was building this plane it would be a 2 piece wing. This takes me back in the days when I first got into so called giant scale in the days all the wings from Ohio RC and Midwest were all 80 inches and up and one piece and they were a really pain in the A** to work on and carry around.

I looked into building this as a two piece wing. It would be pretty simple if I built the wing without dihedral. But that would defeat the whole purpose of this build. Which is to have an easy lazy day flyer. Building a two piece with dihedral is a whole other ball game. Maybe if I was a more accomplished builder I would attempt it. So I think I'm just going to keep it simple and strong. I may regret it in the long run. Time will tell.
:p