• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I’m going out flying thread 2019

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
For some reason, I'm still having a little bit of an issue with starting the DA-50. I don't know why, but it seems like the engine floods immediately, even with the choke off. Have any of you fellas had any issues like that with a DA-50? Once the engine is running, it works flawlessly.

So once it's primed does it just drip fuel out the carb? Like something stuck under the float or a floating check valve in the carb?
What is your starting sequence?

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
@AKNick

Most often, I choke it and flip the prop. The engine usually pops on the third or fourth flip. Then I open the choke and it immediately floods so I have to use an electric starter to get it running. I set my throttle trim just a beep or two above half. That may sound like allot of trim, but it won't even start with the electric starter if I use any less throttle trim than that. What I mean by it immediately floods is that within a flip or two after I turn the choke off, I can smell a strong wiff of gasoline which I have not smelled with other planes. I'm with @Snoopy1 , I am beginning to think it's something in the carb.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick

Most often, I choke it and flip the prop. The engine usually pops on the third or fourth flip. Then I open the choke and it immediately floods so I have to use an electric starter to get it running. I set my throttle trim just a beep or two above half. That may sound like allot of trim, but it won't even start with the electric starter if I use any less throttle trim than that. What I mean by it immediately floods is that within a flip or two after I turn the choke off, I can smell a strong wiff of gasoline which I have not smelled with other planes. I'm with @Snoopy1 , I am beginning to think it's something in the carb.

I'm not sure what you mean by a beep above half. Maybe you just don't need to choke it... Sounds like once it's primed its essentially siphoning fuel or leaking fuel out of the diaphragm needle/float. You may have a little somtin somtin under that needle.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm not sure what you mean by a beep above half. Maybe you just don't need to choke it... Sounds like once it's primed its essentially siphoning fuel or leaking fuel out of the diaphragm needle/float. You may have a little somtin somtin under that needle.
@AKNick
What I mean by half way is half of the amount of throttle trim the radio has. My flying Buddy came out yesterday and we talked about it some more too. He suggested the same thing you did. The next time I fly it, I am not going to choke it at all and see if it will start. If that doesn't work, I may resort to digging into the carburetor.

Thanks for the help Fellas. . . . :yesss:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Burned through some batteries at the lake last night! Stuck a GoPro to the left wing and crossed my finger it wouldn’t fly off. Here’s a couple screen shots. Man it turned out not too bad!!!!
851E877D-47A5-441A-ADED-126F25CF1C2F.png
6DD0847A-7878-4F1C-87EB-6BFFC77E7E87.png
C37A55A1-E1CC-408B-B969-37D14EC67674.png

There was quite a bit of drag, maybe six clicks of right aileron. Slowing down for a landing it would dump the left wing every time.

pawnshopmike

Staff member