• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Motrolfly getting hot? That's something you don't hear too often. We fly in the Florida summers with Motrolfly and have yet to say that, so here are some questions...

First, please confirm that you are using the DM4325 on 6S.
What Kv that motor?
What prop are you using?
What kind of flying do you do and how long do you have your timer set for?

It also sounds like your definition of hot is that you can't hold the motor, but can you explain that a little more? If you put two fingers through the cowl and touch the motor, I'm guessing you can't touch the motor for more than a second, right?

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
DM 4325 on 6s 5000...one's a 360kv on 19X10 Xoar soon to be on 19X8, the other is the 380 kv on 20X8 Xoar. I fly slow 3D and timer set to 7 minutes...and yes the ESC and motor actually burnt my fingers in surprise the other day.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I see nothing wrong with your prop choice as long as they are electric props. Heat from a Motrolfly with these props on the report 380 and 360 Kv is a big surprise to me, and I'd check the settings and like Gary said, turn the switching to 8 KHz if it is not there already. If you are swinging a 20x8 on a 380Kv DM4325 and a 19x10 in a 360, I don't see where the heat would come from unless something rubbing somewhere. You should be getting 7000 RPMs from the 20x8 on the 380, and 6635 RPMs from the 19x10 on the 360.

Going to a 19x8 on the 360Kv is going to be really disappointing.

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Hey, everyone -- sorry for the slow reply on this. ZTW and most of our other suppliers have been gone for the last week attending a trade show in China.

We just received a reply from ZTW. We sent them the video Enterprise posted earlier in the thread and they wrote back with this reply:

Thanks for your video. I checked it together with our software engineer, and we found where the problem is. Our engineer will update the software and after testing, if it is good, we will send you the new software version for updating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Is it really necessary to set the throttle endpoints to 150%? I'm not sure how this changes anything since you calibrate the throttle anyway the ESC knows the max and min.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Is it really necessary to set the throttle endpoints to 150%? I'm not sure how this changes anything since you calibrate the throttle anyway the ESC knows the max and min.

IMHO, yes. Maxing the endpoints gives you increased resolution. It's one of the advantages of an electric motor and good ESC. You can get more throttle "steps"

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
That is what I was thinking but then I figured the ESC is doing its own thing which would be different that a servo with a motor driving a mechanical arm. The ESC often just seems like a "black box". Maybe Altitude Hobbies could way in on this one as well.

Tim H.

50cc
Let us know when the update comes in. I've been lurking... He He...

I have a Motrolfly 5335 175kv, Gecko 150, 2x 6s 5000mAh Glaciers on a Xoar PJN 24x10 and 24x12. Now, power is stupendous, but I did notice the lazy throttle response. Mostly on the bench with no prop, but there is a significant difference between the Gecko and a CC 120. In flight it is fine, but I know it's there. I'm going to try a YGE 120, CC Ice2 120HV and my Gecko to compare response time. I'll get some video if I can.

If the engineers at Gecko can solve this, I will be ecstatic! The system is in my 3DHS 91" Yak 55. Maiden video is being edited now.

Cheers!

AKfreak

150cc
Hey, everyone -- sorry for the slow reply on this. ZTW and most of our other suppliers have been gone for the last week attending a trade show in China.

We just received a reply from ZTW. We sent them the video Enterprise posted earlier in the thread and they wrote back with this reply:

This is outstanding news. Thanks for all the effort.

I ran up my hobbywing HV today both on the bench and in the yard and the difference is night and day. This was even with a APC prop on it today versus a xoar with gecko. Had to pack the plane up for the Nall trip so I will have to play with it on the e-line. Today was also with depleted packs.

The Hobbywing has the anti spark bullet deal already done and seems pretty beefy. Also came with a RPM sensor. Similar price point, but this is only a 100A.

I hope they resolve the issue this season. I kept the other one all wired up with the BEC and such so it will be a 15 minute job to swap them back out.