• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
In this instance, the AWG is all about more strands, and when you peal back the insulation to solder these things, you will see there is more wire. An AWG rating is about the wire, not the insulation. One of the reasons I went to 6.5 mm bullets was to accommodate the thicker wire on the source side of the bigger ESCs and batteries.

But the bottom line here is that resistance is not as important as inductance and capacitance, and inductance and capacitance is not as important as interpreting the timing and avoiding commutation. I have yet to see a ripple value over 3 with any ESC, even when commutation is an issue.

I regret that I never took an ESC/motor/battery/prop setup that developed commutation issues and shortened the source-side wires and added a cap pack in parallel, and retested. By the time I did that, I had already switched out the motor and prop, so I can't say anything about if this works or not. What I can say is that when my systems experienced commutation issues, lowering the prop load fix it 100% of the time.

More load draws more current and power, so just lowering the prop size reduced the power i wanted, and expected. So I now either lowered the Kv and increased the cell count with the same prop, or increased the cell count and went to a smaller prop. Both reduced the current and load, but can match the power-out, if not the torque. Keeping the same prop spinning at the same RPMs on less current requires less Kv and more volts. Sometimes you just need a bigger motor, which is what I'm probably going to have to do to avoid commutation in the MXS.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Isnt resistance one of the biggest limiting factors of current capacity?

"Resistance in wires produces a loss of energy (usually in the form of heat), so materials with no resistance produce no energy loss when currents pass through them."

http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py106/Resistance.html

"When the resistive force is high, the current will go down if the voltage difference that drives the motion remains the same."

"-voltage is the “equivalent†of pressure and current the equivalent of flow
-If pressure (voltage) difference increases, the flow (current) will increase
-If the resistance increases, the flow current will go down if the pressure difference remains the same"

http://www.pa.msu.edu/~pumplin/phy232/ppt/chapter17.pdf

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Isnt resistance one of the biggest limiting factors of current capacity?

Resistance will add to voltage sag induced by load, so more resistance means more heat, less EMF, and less power-out, or Watts-out. From the source (batteries), bigger gauge wires (more strands), closer together, shorter in distance, with a greater number of capacitors, and at least the same SI units of capacitance (farad), is better.

As far as resistance and voltage, I have also experienced ESC issues that could be voltage sag related since the log showed voltage near or slightly under 3.2v per cell, which can create a whole new set of issues.

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
My Gecko 125 and Motrofly 4325 were very hot during the fly-in. What causes this and what can I do to stop this?

gyro

GSN Contributor
My Gecko 125 and Motrofly 4325 were very hot during the fly-in. What causes this and what can I do to stop this?

What is timing set at? Depending on settings, advanced timing generates more heat than actual extra power.
Also, ensure adequate cooling air over the ESC.
What were ambient air temps there?

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
Yeah they are getting air I even took the spinner off the get more air to the motor. The temperature outside was in the 80's