• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Too hot for Cappy to want to fly and put big airplanes together! :)
I have to agree!

At least it's cool in my basement where the airplane is.:)

Heat.png

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It's supposed to be a lovely 105 degrees here today.:confused: I always suspected Illinois was really hell.

On a better note, last night I made the battery extensions and got them installed. That gets me down to balancing the prop, putting the airplane back on the balancer to check the final CG, test running, and adjusting the throws in my flight modes. Then it will be up to Mother Nature if it flies Sunday or not.

20170720_213156_resized.jpg
20170720_225127_resized.jpg

capthis

70cc twin V2
It's supposed to be a lovely 105 degrees here today.:confused: I always suspected Illinois was really communist hell.

I had to fix your quote to make it a little more accurate. It's a shame too as everything that isn't Chicago is really nice except for your Commy policies. Chicago on the other hand I am pretty sure is hell on earth.

Dan767

70cc twin V2
For what its worth: I have used cans for most of my planes over the last ten years. All of them had a cg that was farther aft than the same model built with stock mufflers. The models that had the furthest aft cg's were the Extra's. While my Edge models had an aft cg, the Extra having an already longer fuselage just makes the problem worse.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
For what its worth: I have used cans for most of my planes over the last ten years. All of them had a cg that was farther aft than the same model built with stock mufflers. The models that had the furthest aft cg's were the Extra's. While my Edge models had an aft cg, the Extra having an already longer fuselage just makes the problem worse.
I really like the cans on my planes. Did you find on your Extras that you had to do a lot of compensation to get the cg to a satisfactory level? I have an EF Extra 300 88" that I am planning to put a can on (it had one years ago before I got it), but the plane is balance so nicely right now that I really hate to have to compensate a lot.

I could always use the excuse that I need another plane for the DA 60 with the canister setup because the CG is WAY off with a can :D

Dan767

70cc twin V2
I really like the cans on my planes. Did you find on your Extras that you had to do a lot of compensation to get the cg to a satisfactory level? I have an EF Extra 300 88" that I am planning to put a can on (it had one years ago before I got it), but the plane is balance so nicely right now that I really hate to have to compensate a lot.

I could always use the excuse that I need another plane for the DA 60 with the canister setup because the CG is WAY off with a can :D

For me, I don't think what I have done "overcompensation". On my Comp Arf 40% Extra, all the batteries are mounted in the motor dome. On my 36% Edge the batteries are up by the fuel tank. Not knowing where you have your battery (or batteries) are now, good planning will minimize the effect of the cans. If you are using a single battery for your receiver, consider adding a second battery for the weight and redundancy (I've done this on my 30% Edge).

Dan

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
My Pilot 30% Edge has a can and the batteries are behind the CG. My Carf Extra with a can had everything possible mounted to the engine dome to get it to balance and so does my buddies Carf Extra.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I had to fix your quote to make it a little more accurate. It's a shame too as everything that isn't Chicago is really nice except for your Commy policies. Chicago on the other hand I am pretty sure is hell on earth.
Yeah if we could get rid of Cook County and about half of my County, St. Clair, this wouldn't be a bad state.