• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GP 61 -Discussion thread

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Welp, I retarded the timing as far as it can go, soldered the choke butterfly hole and it still wont start. So I am set on the fact the carb is just bad. Now its a waiting game for the new carb to show up :(

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
nebwake;4046 wrote: So what are the settings on your needles?

Sorry, but at this point I really don't know. If I check them I'll post the settings. If I had to guess, I would say the low is pushing 2 and the high close to the stock 1.5.

Like I said in my earlier post the most I could get out of mine was a pop on the choke when the low needle was at 1.5, it wouldn't run at all. Now it runs and idles great and the transition is smooth. It's still rich on the top until I get some time on it.

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
JRgraham;4103 wrote: That is a good point.. These are not china motors, and with the quality bearings, ring etc., it does need some care and time to break them in compared to the cheaper made engines. Over time, if treated with some care during break in, things will begin to loosen up, you will get a bit more peak RPMs and tuning will get more ans more sensitive.

One shouldnt expect these things brand new, it takes time.. so folks shouldnt get disapointed if they dont get some expected R's out of the box.. the new bearings alone will be a little tight for a few runs at least, just in themselves :)

Out of the box with the smooth pipe and falcon 24x9 cf and running rich it's spinning at 6900.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Nebwake, I just checked the needles on my GP61. The low is at 2 1/4 and the high is 1 1/4. That's a long way off from stock, but it runs good there.

Jetpainter;4251 wrote: Nebwake, I just checked the needles on my GP61. The low is at 2 1/4 and the high is 1 1/4. That's a long way off from stock, but it runs good there.

Interesting you mention that, because when I pulled my 61, I checked the needles and the Low was about that too, 2 1/4range, and High was around 1 3/4 range.. I remounted and retuned for the Monster Fest we had last weekend.. will be pulling it again to finally send it in today, so when I do I will check it again to see where it ended up. But I too thought it was quite a bit fatter (richer) than where I thought it would be.

I have done nothing to modify the thing either. Stock stock, with factory muffs on a 24x9 Valley View beechwood prop.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
JRgraham;4599 wrote: Interesting you mention that, because when I pulled my 61, I checked the needles and the Low was about that too, 2 1/4range, and High was around 1 3/4 range.. I remounted and retuned for the Monster Fest we had last weekend.. will be pulling it again to finally send it in today, so when I do I will check it again to see where it ended up. But I too thought it was quite a bit fatter (richer) than where I thought it would be.

I have done nothing to modify the thing either. Stock stock, with factory muffs on a 24x9 Valley View beechwood prop.

I have a DA50 that also has some odd ball settings. One day I noticed that carb had a lot more fuel around it than it should so I swapped it and the reed block assembly for a spare that I had. Turned out that I had to adjust the new carb to the same oddball settings as the first one to get it to run well. And as long as they both keep running good I'm not going to touch them.

Yeah, no two engines will tune the same, really. I just wish people would understand that the whole factory carb settings deal is only to get the motor adequate fuel to get started, and not some ideal mixture that should be relied or based on.

Maybe the Engine Manufacturers need to be more clear on this?

Bdegan

50cc
jrgraham;4618 wrote: yeah, no two engines will tune the same, really. I just wish people would understand that the whole factory carb settings deal is only to get the motor adequate fuel to get started, and not some ideal mixture that should be relied or based on.

amen !!!!!!!!!