• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GP 61 -Discussion thread

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Thanks Bunky! Kole (limitless aero) is sending me another carb to try out and help troubleshoot this motor down. Ill also try that start sequence and move my sensor. Thanks!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Bunky F. Knuckle;3933 wrote: It would usually be about 10 flips on choke, first start of the day. Then about 6 on choke after that.

Mine are pretty close to that

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
Joshet89;3912 wrote: Good info! I hear you on power my edge has a DA-70 in it and is the same way, but I do like the power. What header and any tip or tricks to setting up the pipe?

Mtw header. Had to cut a little off about half of the bump on the end of the pipe and a 1/4" gap between the header and pipe with the Teflon coupler. And I also drill a 1/16 hole in the header and pipe and pin it with a servo screw so it doesn't pop off. And high temp silicon. I've seen a few blow off because they were not pinned . Not smooth pipes but other brands

My 61.. I rock the prop about 5-8 times first cold start with choke on at half throttle, give it about 4 full flips after.. choke off, throttle to idle, ignition on, and almost every time will start first next flip, or second.

After one run, it will start every time by just rocking prop about 3-5 times (depending how long it sat) and will start in a flip or two, with out choking at all.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
nebwake;3902 wrote: I have had problems starting mine, [MENTION=238]Jetpainter[/MENTION]; What is your start sequence? Also, my timing is as advanced as it can go but it looks that way form the factory. Should I retard it a bit?

Mine hasn't settled into any kind of routine. The first time I ever started it with the factory needle settings I could get it to pop on the choke, but it was way too lean to run. I had to richen the low side several times before it would idle and transition. The first day at the field with it I set the choke and flipped waiting for the pop, but never got one, it was flooded. After clearing it out (had to pull the plug) it started right up. The next weekend for the first start I flipped it three times with the choke on, turned off the choke and it started on the second flip. The last time I had it out I tried that same routine and got nowhere. I set the choke again and after a few flips it popped, turned off the choke and a few flips later it started.

The best part is that there has only been two times when it didn't restart on the first flip, I could get used to that.

I think when it breaks in more and I get the high speed needle where I want it I'm sure the first start of the day will get more predictable.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Jetpainter;3992 wrote: Mine hasn't settled into any kind of routine. The first time I ever started it with the factory needle settings I could get it to pop on the choke, but it was way too lean to run. I had to richen the low side several times before it would idle and transition. The first day at the field with it I set the choke and flipped waiting for the pop, but never got one, it was flooded. After clearing it out (had to pull the plug) it started right up. The next weekend for the first start I flipped it three times with the choke on, turned off the choke and it started on the second flip. The last time I had it out I tried that same routine and got nowhere. I set the choke again and after a few flips it popped, turned off the choke and a few flips later it started.

The best part is that there has only been two times when it didn't restart on the first flip, I could get used to that.

I think when it breaks in more and I get the high speed needle where I want it I'm sure the first start of the day will get more predictable.

So what are the settings on your needles?

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
Also is should add that the top end seems to run good but it will take a fair amount of needle (.5) turn out to make it drop a 100rpm so you know it's slightly rich while breaking in. Lorne helped me with a tach when we I first tuned it.

Bhughes;4076 wrote: Also is should add that the top end seems to run good but it will take a fair amount of needle (.5) turn out to make it drop a 100rpm so you know it's slightly rich while breaking in. Lorne helped me with a tach when we I first tuned it.

That is a good point.. These are not china motors, and with the quality bearings, ring etc., it does need some care and time to break them in compared to the cheaper made engines. Over time, if treated with some care during break in, things will begin to loosen up, you will get a bit more peak RPMs and tuning will get more ans more sensitive.

One shouldnt expect these things brand new, it takes time.. so folks shouldnt get disapointed if they dont get some expected R's out of the box.. the new bearings alone will be a little tight for a few runs at least, just in themselves :)