• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Good prop drill bit

DA prop bolts are all 5mm except the 170 which are 6mm. DA has a drill kit with a 5.2mm drill and a short piece of 5.2mm rod in it. Use the DA drill jig and a drill press to drill the holes. After the first hole is drilled put the 5.2mm rod in it as far as you can get it. Drill the other five holes and you're done. The same procedure is used for the DA 170 except that the bolts are 6mm and a 6.2mm drill and 6.2mm rod are used instead of the 5.2mm.

thurmma

150cc
I use the Dewalt titanium bits with the drill jig and a drill press. I drill from the back side first, then drill from the front side just to make sure everything is true. Every now and then I will feel a little bit of pressure on the redrill from the front side, but not very often. Also, make sure you put a piece of scrap wood under the bottom of the prop for clean exit holes :)

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Thanks guys, I am on my way shortly to a local Tacoma Screw store. They don't have any carbide bits but they do have the high temp treated ones. I will pick up a couple and test them out on a damaged prop I have from one of my smaller planes. I don't want find out they don't work well with a brand new 130 dollar prop that DA does not always have in stock.

I am currently using the drill jigs from PSP. The bits that came with the are exactly 5mm as measure with my digital caliper. They are a tight fit unless I am careful to drill precisely from both sides. A larger bit either english or 5.2mm would not fit. I am using a drill press and check to be sure that the table is at 90 degrees to the bit with a small square. I have a small wood jig that holds the prop above the table and provides a recess for the bolt that secures the jig.

I think I will order the carbide ones from McMaster when I need something else.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
You don't really need carbide, the High Temp Cobalt ones are just fine. For the 5.4mm I bought two. I used one to drill out my drill jig itself and then threw that bit out. Then I used a fresh one for actually drilling props.