• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Good prop drill bit

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I went to my drill press to drill out my new 29x10 Mej prop and the darn bit is bent. I forgot that my spare is also broken in a previous mishap. What is a good source for 5mm bits for drilling the props. What type of bit would be best? Thanks.

Bdegan

50cc
If you can find Cobalt bits, they work really well.

They handle carbon props with our dulling.

I usually buy a few select bits in cobalt. A couple of sizes for 4 ,5 , and 6mm bolts.

And a few 1/16 and 1/8 bits. They are the most common sizes I use the most.

As for a source. Not sure. I just go to a local tool place.

Bipeguy03

150cc
I get Kobalt bits from Lowes, the only problem is they almost always have to order metric size bits. At least the ones near me do, but this is what I've had the best luck with!

SteveT.

100cc
In my opinion, the best bits to drill props with are brad point bits. Rockler has metric brad point bits "here". If you are drilling carbon props, I don't know how long they will last though.

SteveT.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
McMaster-Carr is a great source for metric, standard, lettered and numbered drill bits. Several point sizes to choose from and several bit materials HSS, Cobalt, Carbide, diamond core, etc.

Alky6

150cc
If given a choice, I would go with Carbide. I had the best luck with it when drilling through carbon and Kevlar. Just be careful not to drill through anything with a hard impact - like say a hole next to a hole where the carbide could take a hard hit. It will chip and break the carbide.

-Paul