• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I think that if my first small gas engine was the DLE-35RA and not the DLE-30 side dump, I may never have gone electric. The DLE-30 was that much of a headache. I'm guessing that since I'm flying the 11 to 14 pound planes almost exclusively now - because how well they fly and how easy the are to transport and set up - I'm not too sure that I wouldn't go gas on all the new planes I bought from now on if I tried the DA-35 on something like one of the 74" EXPs. But I still have a brand new 3000W motor here waiting for the next one so the DA-35 will have to wait, and I still need to get a gas engine for my 50cc Godfrey now that I took out the Q80-7M on 10S. But the Q80 was a great powerhouse at 4500W with the 24x10TH Mejzlik. It was just the 5 minute flight times and the weight issue that made me take it out. The plane flies at 17 pounds with a DA-50 wet, so it was not the best performer in the hangar at 19 pound with 2x 5S 5200mAh batts and two A123 2300's for the Powersafe Rx. Now that I'm flying the HV servos, I could have saved almost 10 ounces going to 2S 2100 Lipos and swapping out the JR 8611A's I had on it at the time. Live and learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Cz

30cc
You guys have all missed my point! I don't care about 3DHS, Horizon or Joe Blow RC!

I paid the exact same price to ship a huge 3 box EF 91" EXTRA 300 AND a EF 78" Extra 300, both on the same order, same time to the same address, commercial: Shipping cost total: $120

Then I ordered a single plane, EF 74" Laser, shipped to the same address, commercial: Shipping cost total: $120
Something is seriously wrong with their system when they charge me the same $120 for 2 far different orders.

Sad but true. Ken

Ok - here it is direct from Curtis at EF:

"Those numbers are correct. For larger airframes to commercial addresses we use contract over the road trucking. They charge basically a trip charge up to about 100lbs.
So yes, the cost for one or two planes, assuming the total weight stays under about 100lbs would be the same.
For reference, shipping for the Laser via UPS ground would have run $135."

Bottom line: If you don't like the shipping price, don't buy it.

According to this personal reply to me from Extreme Flight regarding shipping costs you may as well get together with you friends and order 4 Laser 74" all at once (4 is still less than 100 lbs) together because you will pay the same $120 I did for one of them.
Gets it down to $30 each/ or $40 if you order 3 similar sized models.
Still think they should have a actual price shipping calculator on their website instead of the "Mystery Shipping Cost" Policy. Is that too much to ask? Really?

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
guys who run gas engines....do you find that you need to make thrust adjustments to get the planes to fly the way you want?

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Thanks 3dbandit and AKfreak. I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. I have been struggling with which way I will power my first 7x / 8x sized airplane- and I'm really attracted to the 10 minute plus run-times of a gasser, so I think I'm leaning that way...

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks 3dbandit and AKfreak. I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. I have been struggling with which way I will power my first 7x / 8x sized airplane- and I'm really attracted to the 10 minute plus run-times of a gasser, so I think I'm leaning that way...

I've only had to do it once, and it was due to a factory error. I've built over 50 ARFs the last few years.

Most of the modern ARF vendors set their thrust angles as a overall compromise that fits the vast majority of people. There are a few that may want to change things by a degree here or there, but they are the exception not the rule.

sr175

30cc
Bottom line: If you don't like the shipping price, don't buy it.

I think this is the only way to look at it. EF can charge whatever they want in reality. It's up to the consumer to choose if it's worth it. EF charged me $148 to ship a 48" extra. It's only a $179 plane. I was so blinded by excitement and shock, because you don't know how much shipping is being a new customer, that I bought it anyway. I tell you what that info really affected my decision on what and where to buy yesterday when I got another plane. But you are absolutely right and that is just a personal decision and there is no right or wrong opinion here because we all look at it differently. For me I would be hard pressed to pay that again even though they are one of the best planes and offered the only customer service to me when i needed it. No knock against EF or the plane. Maybe there will be a sale or special in future like other brands have had. Who knows.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I think this is the only way to look at it. EF can charge whatever they want in reality. It's up to the consumer to choose if it's worth it. EF charged me $148 to ship a 48" extra. It's only a $179 plane. I was so blinded by excitement and shock, because you don't know how much shipping is being a new customer, that I bought it anyway. I tell you what that info really affected my decision on what and where to buy yesterday when I got another plane. But you are absolutely right and that is just a personal decision and there is no right or wrong opinion here because we all look at it differently. For me I would be hard pressed to pay that again even though they are one of the best planes and offered the only customer service to me when i needed it. No knock against EF or the plane. Maybe there will be a sale or special in future like other brands have had. Who knows.

That is insane. They shipped me a 60 Yak-54 (to California) for $65 just last month.